Monday, February 24, 2014

My island staycation


It is one week since my second chemo treatment. I am feeling well.

One thing I really did not know about before, was how susceptible (to infection/illness) a cancer patient is right around one week after each treatment. This is when the immune system (White blood count) plummets, leaving you with the immunity of a small baby!
Even when you still feel good....Unlike when the red blood cells and platelets drop, there are seldom any symptoms when the white blood cells drop...unless you end up with an infection or fever known as (Neutropenic fever) which is what I had last time.

The shot I received this time will not prevent the counts from dropping...But it will help them to come back up faster...This does take a few days though.
So....This past weekend...
I  had to decline a visit from the grandkids since they have been sick recently...I told my daughter that since they have pretty much been sick with one thing after another, It is best to not plan a visit until the end of cold and flu season.

It has been such a terrible winter for the flu and other illness. The hospital (where I ended up spending most of the week following the first treatment) had signs at the entrance telling people that if they had been recently exposed to the flu or other illness, or had symptoms...not to enter!

So....I am having a little vacation (stay-cation?) On a very pleasant island this week...Thankfully I am not alone, and it is not a deserted island!

I sent the other island inhabitant off alone last Friday evening to get some supplies for the two of us this week...And today he had to venture off to work...So, I am alone once again with the two dogs...I have not ventured out beyond a pleasant drive on Saturday...in which I never left the safety of the van.
I will stay here sequestered amongst the many things that I have to occupy my time, and fill the hours taking in all the Lord has for me in His Word... Here is a little gem I uncovered just this morning:

Isaiah 61

The Year of the Lord’s Favor

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

And here is a translation of that same passage taken from the devotional I am reading:
 'Captivating, Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul'...

God has sent me on a mission.
I have some great news for you.
God has sent me to restore and release something.
And that something is you.
I am here to give you back your heart and set you free.
I am furious with the Enemy who did this to you, and will fight against him.
Let me comfort you.
For, dear one, I will bestow beauty upon you
where you have known only devastation.
This passage is referring to Israel, but I believe it also pertains to all who call upon the Lord during their times of trouble...It describes a renewal...a promise for those who trust in Him.
I just love how it is entitled 'The year of the Lord's favor' since I have been calling this
'My year of grace'.
As always, I am so very thankful to be able to visit with so many friends through this miracle called blogging...I get so much inspiration from each of you...and so enjoy your visits here too!
But, if I start to talk to inanimate objects such as a soccer ball named Wilson...Call for help!
~Blessings & Love~
and remember, we are...
~NEVER FORSAKEN~


27 comments:

Delisa said...

Hi Lisa, I love the new bright green background on the blog! It is so pretty. I am someone who really enjoys receiving flowers, especially when I am not feeling well or in the hospital. I will stare at them for hours. Once years ago my friend Liza, gave me a bouquet that had a bright green flower, just the color of your background, it was called "Irish mist" and looked a little like a small gladiola. I had never seen anything like it before. Every time I see this shade of green I am instantly reminded of it. And, I get a tingle of happiness. :) It is so refreshing.

Thank you for your kind words about Barkley dog. It has been one of the most painful things I have ever gone through. He was joy. Without him, the house seems so still. But it is getting a little better as each day goes by and I know our heavenly Father is there comforting us and walking us through the grieving process. I keep thinking about that scripture in Proverbs that says "God loves those who take care of the souls of their domestic animals."

It makes me feel so happy that we were able to love and care for him all those years. I hope you have a lovely day Lisa and enjoy being home and having time to rest and recuperate. With Love, Delisa :)

child of God said...

Hi Lisa,
Yes stay safely inside your home and away from germies!!
I am on a biologic, an immune suppressant, and just recently caught the common cold that turned into a sinus infection. It can hit fast and can be deadly. So please be careful. My husband told me just last week a middle age woman on the same biologic as me contacted a cold that turned quickly into pneumonia and she was put onto life support.

Hugs and lots of prayers for you and your immune system.
<><

Sharon said...

First of all, I just love the change to your blog background!! The vivid green speaks so much to the beautifully optimistic spirit that you have displayed through your cancer journey. New growth - I think it's very appropriate!

Glad to hear that you're doing all right. Yes, enjoy your staycation. Rest up, and I can't wait to hear more about what the Lord will be teaching you. The *re-translation* of those verses was truly beautiful. They meant a lot to me as I'm praying for a renewal of my spirit right now. God will be faithful, I know - sometimes His grace just has to hold us tighter when we hurt.

GOD BLESS!

Alexandra Rose said...

Oh Lisa, that last bit was funny! Just so long as you do not have to smash out a dental
abcess with a rock! (great film, that, but so bittersweet the return to civilisation for him)
Seriously, what a great quotation ~ both versions. There are times to do all those things, in our lives, but also times to be on the receiving end of them...
I hope you have wonderful weather on your 'staycation' island, and that the natives are friendly!!
See you soon, heal and rest, my dear...
x

Denise said...

Love you, and your blog. Enjoy yourself, and take gentle self of yourself.

Terra said...

Your island staycation sounds like just the right medicine for you, so you will stay away from germs. Be well.

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
glad you are being wise regarding the chemo treatment I love this scripture, and believe it also refers to us because the church is Gods Israel, so all the blessings and promises of God to Israel are 'yes' in Jesus for us.
God bless you and may you have sunshine and blue skies while on your island vacation.

Just Be Real said...

Blessings to you Lisa. Appreciate you sharing your journey of recent. Hugs.

Deanna said...

The stay-cation on that island is lovely! Even lovelier because before long when you're finished with the serenity of solitude and ready to be back we'll hope that the two are simultaneous. Delight in your quiet time. Before long you'll be holding your grandkids like it was yesterday:)

Love you, Deanna

Susie Swanson said...

Oh I love your blog. You take care and don't catch anything. Still praying for you sweet friend. Hugs,xo

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Hello Lisa - Just wondering what chemo are you having? I am wondering if it is the same as I am - Carbo and Taxol? The reason I am asking is because I think that you said that your Dr said that your immune system is at it's lowest at day 7 - is that right? Anyway - I hope you are doing well. Take care~ Lisa :O)

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Lisa,
I chose the treatment that is more common on the west coast where you are...because it is safer for the heart.
Taxotere (same family as taxol), Carboplatin, and Herceptin (a targeted therapy for HER2+ breast cancer )...I have it every 3 weeks (6 txs) but the Herceptin I will get until the end of the year.
Both the T and the C lower the blood counts.
After my first tx I ended up in the hospital for 4 days ...my WBC was 0.08...pretty much non existent, so I am on strict orders...plus taking Neulesta shot after my txs now to bring the counts up quicker...but it takes a few days.
Just call me the girl in the bubble...LOL!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Sweetie, Jeff is on a biologic for his RA too and has to be careful. I hope you got your flu shot...Jeff did but I did not...and now I can't.
I guess it is good that we are all introverts around here!
I have always ended up with a sinus infection after getting anything...feels like you got kicked in the face by a mule!
I actually have not gotten really sick with anything (except the pesky cancer) in quite a few years....used to have a stellar immune system...LOL!
((HUGS))

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Delisa,
I do love this shade of green...I have splashes of it throughout my living room...It does make you feel good when you look at it!
I love that Proverb too...very comforting to know also that the same breath of life breathed into us from the Father is also breathed into our beloved pets.
((Hugs))

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Sharon,
I am praying that your renewal comes quickly and with much comfort and JOY...That is His promise to you I believe...and to all of us!
His grace really IS sufficient...just as much as we need when we need it...sometimes we need a little more, and He always supplies us :)
((Hugs))

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Alex,
God forbid!
The weather has been good, but, wouldn't you know it...supposed to get a storm tonight & tomorrow just in time for when I have to venture out to get blood work and travel to the city where I get my treatments to fill out some paperwork! UGH!
<3

Never Forsaken said...

Love you and your blog too, my friend!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Terra,
It is good medicine...I am trying to stay away from outside germs, but with chemo...we are also in danger from our own germs too...Can't stay away from myself...LOL!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Brenda,
Yes we are God's children...and all His promises are for us!
Sunshine and blue skies until tomorrow...then we are supposed to get another storm!...But God is in it all...Can't believe it is almost March!
((hugs))

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Grace,
So glad to hear from you...praying you are doing well!
((hugs))

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Deanna,
Time is surely going by quickly...and I am excited the closer we get to springtime and the end of chemo...& back to normal (though it is a NEW normal for me)!
<3 & hugs

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Susie,
Thanks...I love yours too!
And I'm so grateful for your love and prayers, my friend :)
Hugs <3

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Wow- I do not blame you for being the girl in the bubble at all. After I learned that while on chemo and the defenses are down- that we may get really sick but we may not see the symptoms because our bodies are too weak to produce them- and that is why we have to be watch our temps. and notify dr when it gets to a certain point. We have to be careful or we could get very sick. Take care~ and may God bless you, Lisa :O)

Dee said...

It is important to take extra good care of yourself.....blessings.....and thanks for the splash of green.♥

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Dee,
I called my doc's office yesterday to be sure the counts were up and they were, so had a nice day running errands ...the temp was 8 degrees! At ;east it was sunny. Can't wait to see green outside again!

Deanna said...

I was still on your newsfeed for comments, usually I've turned it off by now. But!!! I am so happy to hear your counts are up!!!! Still keeping you in my prayers ♡

Delisa said...

Hi Lisa, I was just out and about Blog Land tonight and thought I would stop by and say hello! I am glad to hear that you had a good visit at the doctor's today. I sure am longing to see green outside again too! I don't know if it is just an early case of Spring fever, but it is pretty much all I am thinking about :) Have a restful evening and a good weekend ahead! With Love, Delisa :)

So do not fear,  for I am with you;      do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen  you and help  you;      I will uphold ...