My Cancer Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

One down, five to go.

Snapshot_20140124Snapshot_20140124_3
I get my therapy at my oncologist’s office. It is quiet and homey. The doc is always walking around in his stocking feet and there is soft classical music playing in the background.
He caught me eavesdropping on him as he was working on his transcriptions in the office across from the room Jeff and I were in. Each patient has their own private room.
Pam was my nurse. She is a very wise and motherly woman. The doc warned her that I was well read, and she took everything in stride assuming that I already knew about things.
I thanked her for helping me to sift through all the overwhelming information that I had overloading my poor brain. She gave me all the info I needed for my own situation, and she took excellent care of me.
She warned me about today. (the day after)That I might feel as if I were coming down with the flu. And she told me my worst day would likely be the third day…Monday, (daughter Sarah will be with me all day while Jeff works.) But she assured me that after that I should be feeling better for a while until the blood counts drop (on the 7th day-Friday). That is when I will be most susceptible to infection and have lowest energy…So now I will know how to schedule visits and things with family and friends.
The doc told me that working out on the treadmill will be good, but not to expect to be able to do it at the level I do now. He said to prioritize what is important and not to waste energy on things that are not, as I will not have a reserve.
I learned the truth of that advise this morning when I awoke with some energy from all the steroids I took yesterday, and did ten minutes on the treadmill and found myself to be shaky and nauseated. I had allowed my stomach to be empty (except for lots of fluids)…So I took the anti-nausea med and it worked…Then I made an egg, cheese, and spinach omelet for breakfast, took a shower and that was it for me today!
Jeff has been taking excellent care of me and Buddy and Sasha are constantly by my side.
I’m so glad that I took the time to collect some information and prepare ahead of time this comfortable little nest here in my cozy bedroom with everything close at hand.
And today in the mail I received the perfect little message from a dear blogging friend, Chelle…I put it on the lampshade next to my bed, a little card that reads:
Be strong and courageous; Do not be afraid or terrified, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deut. 31:6
~Amen to that!~

15 comments:

Lily said...

Hi - I have been thinking about you and praying you are doing well. Sending love from Wales. xxx

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Lily,
It is so wonderful to know that you are praying.
I visited your blog and am sorry you had to discontinue it, but I understand your reasons. I am also sorry that your sweet dog died last May,
We lost our little Emma (Chihuahua at the end of my blog page) Last January...She was almost 17.
I am feeling pretty well today, and looking forwarding to spending some time trying to reply to comments.
If I don't always reply right away...please know that I read every single one, and each give me so much joy and strength...which is a blessing straight from the Lord!
Blessings and love to you~ Lisa

child of God said...

Hi Lisa,
How nice you go to a homey office to get these treatments. That must ease the anxious feelings a bit.

What a kind thing for Chelle to do. :) She really is a sweetheart.

Praying for you girl. (((Hugs)))
<><

Deanna said...

Very wonderful for you to have met such a caring and informative nurse. I am so thankful to hear this. Rest as much as you can, and I am continuing to remember you in my prayers. Blessings and love, deanna

Reformed rebel said...

It sounds like you are not only in the good hands of the Lord but also in the good hands of some great medical people. I think it's good that you know what to expect kind of on a daily basis. Praying for you Lisa that you will have an easy time throughout all of this. I must say that I like the pics. and the fact that Buddy and Sasha are helping Jeff take care of you!
Rest well...Chelle

Jedidja said...

On this beautiful Sunday morning I pray for you to our heavenly father. The sun shines. I think it is night in America. Our God does not slumber and sleep. He keeps a close eye on you, and you'll not fall out of His hand. Keep Courage! Even if tiredness you will overtake. In Him you are strong. Greetings to your loved ones and hug the dog.

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
Amen to Chelle's message to you in the post. Our God is a very present help in time of need.
God bless you and all the people who help and comfort you.

Sharon said...

It sounds like God has provided the perfect place, and the perfect people to help you get through this journey. I'm so pleased to hear that you were able to keep the nausea at bay. Praying that the Lord continues to give you His strength.

Lisa, you continue to inspire me to courage in my own life.

GOD BLESS!

Susie Swanson said...

Sounds like the ideal place to be. I'm so inspired by your story and the strength just shines through. You are a very inspiring person and I'm honored to call you friend. You hang in there . I'm still praying. Blessings!!

Crown of Beauty said...

My dear friend... I am back in my own homeland - arrived here about ten days ago. Thought of you this morning, and am so glad I dropped by to read your latest post. Here is my encouragement for you today:


Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
- Psalm 30:5

Peggy said...

Lisa, it sounds like you are surrounded by skillful and caring people who God has given to help you along this journey. God shines through you in all your posts and you are inspiring so many with your words. I'm thankful to have you as a friend. Hugs and blessings to you. Peggy

Ceil said...

Hi Lisa! Yay Chelle! What a beautiful thing to find in the mail. (not a bill!) You are greatly prayed for and loved. I hope you are having a restful day.
Good to visit today,
Ceil

Maria said...

Hello Sweet Lisa...seeing your smile is such a comfort. My prayers are with you as you continue to walk through this journey... m.

Dee said...

In your treatments you will meet some amazing people....stay strong. Prayerfully thinking of you.

Denise said...

Praise God that you are receiving encouragement sis. I love you.

Happy? But..I have cancer!

    Are you happy?           Before you jump to an answer for this age-old question..let me ask something else first: Are you angr...