Sunday, May 12, 2013

Real Lovebirds…A bittersweet story of love and devotion

Ecclesiastes3:1-4 – To every thing there is a season, a time to every purpose under the heaven: a time to be born, a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal, a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance

DSC02074
Corinthians 4:7-8  “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.”

Jeff was cleaning the dog enclosure and was startled by this Ruby Throated Grosbeak…He did not move because he had been injured. I went out there to take this picture, realizing that he was badly injured. The poor fellow was breathing heavily, holding his head low. My human instinct wanted to reach out and comfort the poor creature, but experience has taught me that doing so usually only succeeds in stressing them more…And then I saw her through the camera lens…
DSC02076
Psalm 46:1  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.


Staying nearby, yet on the other side of the fence…His faithful mate. At one point she turned her eyes away from him to look at me…She blinked her eyes as if telling me of her sadness. I told her I was sorry that I could not help.
Jeff and I went back into the house, careful to keep the dogs inside. We kept our eye on them…she remained outside the fence, vulnerable to the neighbor’s cat and other animals…but he was safely inside the fence where the animals cannot get in easily. I wonder if that was her plan…to guard over him as he lay within safety as well as comfort him?
(Hebrews 13:5-6 NIV) “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.

 It also was not lost on me the irony that she was on the one side of a fence...as he lay dying on the opposite side...together yet seperated. This is how a person feels when they lose a loved one through death.
DSC02078DSC02079
What was also ironic about this morning’s encounter was that just minutes before  Jeff went outside to clean the yard, we had been looking through these two bird guides, and discussing many birds, including the Ruby Throated Grosbeak.   Specifically, we were wondering what the female looked like (up close)…as we had seen another similar bird, but with larger eyes the previous day... As it turned out…we were about to get a real life lesson in bird identification…up close and personal.
DSC02087
Mercifully it was not too long after when I looked out the window to see that the female Grosbeak was no longer there…Her mate had died. I brought him inside for a minute to get a good look at his beautiful markings before I carefully buried him. I was so sad, yet I knew that he must have felt very loved and comforted to have his mate with him right until the end…

On the day when I faced disaster, they confronted me, but the LORD came to my defense...Psalm 18:18
DSC02094

 …We have our loved ones, family, friends, our spouse with us to comfort us here, but there will come a time when we will have to say goodbye to them for a time.

But Jesus promised us a comforter who will NEVER leave our side…One who will walk with us into eternity…

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.  John 14

I wonder how she is, the mate who stayed so close until the very end. I imagine she is tending to her nest alone now, protecting the precious little eggs that lie within… The sharp edge of her sadness softened a bit with hope for her babies…It is a bitter sweet story playing out here at the cottage on this Snowy mother’s Day…I challenge anyone who would try to convince this silly woman that animals do not feel love towards one another, as someone once tried to so many years ago…
DSC02075
…to remember the little bird that stayed by her dying mate even when it meant placing herself within danger…even remaining there while two big humans came to sit within mere inches of them both...…It is so obvious to anyone who has eyes to see. God speaks through His Holy Word and also through His creation!
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Though we may not be facing eminent death today, there may be many other difficulties that have us worried. Do not be afraid…you are not alone, my friend!

2 Timothy 4:17 (NIV) But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength.


33 comments:

  1. Lisa, what a beautiful and sad post. That poor little bird.

    Have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Gina, you too :)
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  2. So glad you were there for him. You are indeed one of His servants to consider the birds : ) God bless!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      Where we live there are not many neighbors...the birds and other creatures are our neighbors. Believe me, if I forget to fill the feeders...somebody will come knocking on one of my windows to remind me about it, LOL...I do help out a human neighbor from time to time...but in recent years we have lost so many since this was mainly older folks living here...and many have passed on.
      ~Blessings and love~ Lisa

      Delete
  3. Yes, this is how we feel when our loved ones, that do not know Our Lord are dying. You feel as if you are watching from outside a fence. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,

      Fortunately, I have never had to say goodbye to a loved one who did not know the Lord...That would be devestating! Thankfully, we can know that our loved one who is a believer is going Home to wait for us to join them...That is the hope and joy...We know that our seperation is only temporary.
      My heart goes out to anyone who has had to say a permanent goodbye.
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet, heart touching post. Thank you for your kindness to this precious creature, created by our Saviour. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      It was a tearful thing to watch...But it is the downside to living with so many of God's creatures here...we enjoy their everyday tactics, but so many come to us to die also...We do share in their little lives for awhile.
      We once had a squirrel with tumors all over his body come around...he was otherwise very healthy acting...and the other squirrels did not shun him the way people do (to each other)sometimes.
      I love you too, my friend.
      ~Blessings~

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post Lisa; love the verses you selected. A sad, but very meaningful account of how we mourn but then rejoice over our lost loved ones. You are such a sweet and caring lady sweet friend!

    Many, many blessings and hugs sweet sister!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,

      Those verses came to mind as soon as I saw the female bird sitting nearby...the fact that her attention was solely on him (except for a quick look at me)...made me think about our Saviour always watching and caring and staying close when we suffer or are feeling low...I love these lessons from God...I am looking deeper at what is happening all around us, and I can see God in it all!
      ~Blessings and love to you too, my dear sister and friend~

      Delete
  6. So heart-warming, even though sad; Praise God from whom all blessings flow... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie,

      I know it is tempting sometimes to just look away from the sad stuff in the world...I debated about publishing the picture of the dead bird...But as Christians, God will work things out for our good (even the sad stuff)...That is how we differ from unbelievers...we all go through good and bad...but we get a real Spiritual embrace from Jesus and a sense of His presence when we go through the hardest things...These birds seemed to illustrate that to me yesterday somehow...So I felt I needed to honor the life of the sweet bird who has blessed us with his visits for many weeks now, by sharing him with others in a meaningful way.
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  7. Oh Lisa,
    I feel like I have just watched a very sad movie, but it was real. The sad things in this world affect me so much, and little creatures seem so vulnerable. How lovely though that you and your husband were there for them, and yes I believe absolutely that these little creatures have love for one another. A beautiful post with lovely scripture. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brenda,

    Yes, sometimes life does seem to play out before our eyes like a scene from a movie like that. I was blessed to see another grosbeak couple at the feeder yesterday. I also seen the lonely female there all by herself as well. The scriptures were ones that came to mind immediately.

    ~Blessings and love~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a tender well written post ...sad...but real life. And the photo's...Oh my...♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,
      I'm glad you like my photos...it is sad that I could never get a good one of this bird before. But we are blessed with another Grosbeak pair at the feeder this year.
      ~Blessings and love!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Lisa. I really understand your post because I faced a similar situation with two Mourning Doves recently. Isn't it wonderful to live surrounded by nature? There are so many
    Lessons God is teaching me on our little sheep farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy,

      I love the Mourning Doves too. Yes, there is so much to learn from.
      Sometimes we just need to watch and listen.
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  11. Love the verses. Very encouraging. I feel bad for the little bird though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pia...I know how you feel...I was so sad, I handled the poor bird with care and respect. I am just glad that I did not see what had attacked him....Glad this was encouraging, God's Word does that:)
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  12. Oooh... Very tasty...err... Bootiful birdie... =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sad story... bittersweet, yes indeed. I was misty eyed reading this post. Such a beautiful story of love and care... I have no doubt that you will see these birds in heaven someday... free, beautiful, for all eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crown of Beauty,

      I believe that is true, God values His creation, and I believe nothing is lost to Him... Imagine how beautiful!
      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  14. Oh, what a touching post! I am all teared up reading this. You know, even in its fallen state, God's beautiful creation reflects His love. There is beauty in the natural world that points to the Creator - and the devotion between these two little birds proves that. I am comforted by the sure knowledge that the Lord whose eye is on the sparrow, watches even me.

    GOD BLESS!

    (P.S. I notice that you live in the forest - I live in the mountains. And don't even get me started on how much I love DOGS!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,

      Even in it's fallen state it is beautiful.
      (I like how you phrased that).
      It was sweet how she stayed right there with him...I have never seen such a thing in the wild...My dog Sasha stayed close to our 16 yr. old chihuahua all night long last January while she died, and then she cried and mourned her for several days after.

      Oooh...I have never been to the mountains! I am quite a hermit ;)

      ~Blessings and love~
      Lisa

      Delete
  15. Hi Lisa,
    I remember the passing of my first wife, Eileen very well. I can remember watching them remove her body from our home, now I am left all alone. Now I must go through life without her. But I was not alone. Jesus was with me every step of the way. The comfort I felt from being in His presence was mind blowing. Death is always a hard thing. I sure do look forward to the day that there is no more death. I dread that there very well be more people I love in my life will one day pass away. I keep hoping the rapture will happen so I do not have to go down that path again.
    Blessings,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken,

      I have lost my mother and grandmother...it is unimaginable to me what losing my spouse is like...I cannot even think about it...or a child...But one thing your story and others shows clearly, is that God never leaves His children to bear something that would otherwise be unbearable. Because you are a believer you rest in the knowing that this world is not your home...We can hope for the rapture...but know that Jesus is already here with us in the person of the Holy Spirit to give us peace and joy in spite of fear and sadness.
      ~God bless you, my brother~

      Delete
  16. This post has really touched me since I love birds and have two myself. When my 18 year old female cockatiel died suddenly, her mate was in shock (he is still alive at 25 yrs. old). I ended up taking a picture of her as well. She died so beautifully unexpectantly one day. WoW! Thank you for sharing..... hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBR,

      I had a cockateil many years ago...He was such a character!
      They are smart birds who do tend to live long lives.

      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  17. Hi Lisa,
    Oh what a sad story.
    I find that some animals are so faithful, right to the very end and then they mourn.

    He is a beauty.

    Blessings hon,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweetie,

      Isn't that funny how some animals mate for life and others do not, just as some animal families stay together through generations, and others go off alone...Yet, God has designed for Man to stay with one spouse, and family without exception.

      ~Blessings and love~

      Delete
  18. Oh my o my Lisa!!!
    What a bitter-sweet story!

    I can't help to feel a little sad too. But what precious the mate birds were- the one who stayed by until the end. Again, God's ways are so marvelous to teach us, to humble, even to show HIS love for the ways HE loves us right though HIS very creation- even the bird that you were just studying up on:)

    Sorry I've taken to long to get over for a visit- I have surely, surely missed 'chatting' with ya'!

    God Bless & Thank you for sharing this story, it is touching.
    ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate