Wednesday, October 12, 2011

You're Grounded!



I remember how as a child ,hearing those two words would devastate me. One incident in particular comes to mind: Once when I was a very young teenager my mother had to work the late shift at the nursing home until 1:30 am, I took advantage of this and wrote her a note telling her I was spending the night with a girl in the neighborhood. I left it on the kitchen table expecting her to find it when she woke up later the next morning.
 ( I really thought I would get away with it too!)

Problem #1:   Telling, not asking her?  
Problem #2This was someone whom I was forbidden to hang around with
 ( and for good reason )! 
Problem #3:  I underestimated Mom's love and concern for me..She really was paying attention to my life, even when I didn't think she cared. She was watching over me.

The first 2 chapters of Ephesians describes who we are (Eph.1:5) We are adopted children through Jesus..In Ephesians 2:1  we are told we were once dead in sin, walking according to the spirit of the devil, children of disobedience, but now we are  made alive in Christ..

 This  reminds me of a question I once heard (from a forgotten source):

“If God was our earthly parent who caught one of his children hanging around on a street corner with a bunch of hoodlums, what do you think he would do?”

I imagine the answer to that question would be pretty similar to what my mother did when she caught me hanging around with that girl…

First… He might gently (although Mom wasn’t too gentle) remind us of who we are in Him, and who He is to us ( His authority over us), and why we don’t hang around with children of disobedience any longer.


..He would then lead us back home. (Mom followed behind me with the car while I rode my bike home in the middle of the night. I can still feel the  imagined heat of those headlights boring into my back and filling me with dread!)  And finally, He would say those two words….

You’re grounded!… In Ephesians 3:16 we are told that we are grounded in love through our faith in Jesus Christ who dwells within our hearts, and we  are given spiritual strength through Him.


When our earthly parents grounded us it was through love, and for our own good, but it was given as a punishment for our wrong doing; when God tells us that we are grounded it is also in love, and for our own good, but is given as a reminder of  the great gift we've recieved in Christ; the gift of eternal life and a renewed spirit, our adoption as sons and daughters of the Most High! God wants to deepen our understanding of who we belong to and what is the magnitude of His love for us! 
 ...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him
(Eph. 1:17)...
..that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  (Eph.3:16-19) 

In Ephesians 4,  Paul urges us to walk worthy of the vocation by which we are called. He then goes on to explain how to do this: (vs. 2-3) With all lowliness and meekness(humble and gentle), with long suffering,(patience) forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace...  The rest of this chapter goes on to describe how we are each a part of  the family of Christ, being given various spiritual gifts, with the common goal of perfecting the body of the saints of which we are united through Christ!

The book of Ephesians contains so many spiritual truths and lessons on how to live a healthy Christian lifestyle. I find myself returning to this part of the Bible often, and whenever I do, it seems to pull me in , whetting my spiritual appetite more and more..These four chapters in Ephesians were my focus this morning as I was sitting in the yard swing, while the birds were calling to one another in joyful anticipation of the meal of suet and seeds I had just provided them..

So likewise, we must be joyful at all that the Lord is providing us in terms of the spiritual food which gives us our strength..and like the birds, we should call out to one another to share in this bounty of His Word. We must encourage one another and  continue to shine the light of God's Word  upon the path that we are walking so none will be lost and all will grow strong in the Lord, and in doing so we will equip the saints and build up the kingdom for His glory and our joy!




                           "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet,
                                 and a light unto my path ."
                                                          Psalm 119:105 ( KJV)

~Loving Peace and Blessings In Jesus~

Never Forsaken

13 comments:

  1. This is a great post. It reminded me of how it feels when I mess up. Sometimes I get in lala land and forget. I also love the epistles. I always find such strength in them. Thanks for this : ) May God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    I love the book of Ephesians and use it often to teach my children.
    God is so gentle and patient with us but when He does discipline, watch out, the consequences for our sins could last a lifetime.
    I love the story of Moses, but I think it quite harsh that God did not allow him
    into the promise land for one tiny mistake. Thinking on things such as this, makes one a bit more careful to do the right thing.

    Where would we be without Jesus? Lost, lonely and forever in despair.

    Aren't you thankful for parents who care? I am.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I too am a frequent visiter to the land of
    la la.
    I never tire of the basic lessons of the gospels and the epistles. It seems God is directing me to get back to basics lately.

    ~God Bless you~

    Hi C.O.G.
    I always used Ephesians to teach my girls also. There is nothing better than having your children grow up and say thank you for teaching them these things (all three of mine have!) It is a blessing much like the one in Psalm 31 when the woman's children bless her. Keep up the good work, you are planting the seeds in their hearts and minds and God will bless them.
    I am thankful for a mother who did her best and always loved me no matter what. She's been home with the Lord for 11 yrs now, Although I wasn't raised a Christian, I am very glad that she was saved before she died. I still miss her.

    ~God Bless You~
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    What a delightful post (and great analogy!) I remember those days well...he he! :)

    As Paul says, when Christ dwells in our hearts through faith, we ARE rooted and grounded in love, especially when we seek God's love in it's fullness. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Never Forsaken -

    Thank you for this rich message with lessons to remind us...

    You expressed, "...to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Eph.3:16-19)"

    I so yearn to change, Never Forsaken, to be the best that I know to please our Lord. Often my prayer is, "Lord, I need to change, please show me how..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise,
    You made a good point- we are to seek God's love in order to experience it fully..I don't think we will ever experience God's love fully on this side of heaven though.

    Hi lioneagle,
    Good to see you back!
    That is our common prayer..all we can do is ask and then be ready (listen) for the answer; as He wills for us to change and become more and more like Jesus..acknowledging our need is the first step. Amen.

    ~Have a safe and blessed weekend~
    In Jesus,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again Denise,
    4got to mention- I still can't post comments on your blog..I have been following along however and find you very encouraging! I will keep trying...Hugs & Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! Good Post! :-)

    The little puppy looks like my youngest granddaughter who seems to be in trouble more often than out nowadays. :-)

    God bless and have a wonderful week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ron,

    I have one of those kinda granddaughters too :)

    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Gods' wonderful grace that grounds us in Christ. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Never Forsaken,
    God always has our best interests in mind and how awesome it is to be grounded in His love.
    Great post and God bless,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen Peggy,
    He is a good Father indeed who grounds us with His grace!

    ~God Bless You~

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate