Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Wind and Waves and... sand in my teeth!






video
Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.
(Ephesians 4:14 NIV)

    “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Mathew 7:24-27)


Over the weekend my husband and I took a drive along the western shoreline; we had no plan, just go wherever the wind blows us..The winds blew us all the way up to the Sleeping Bear Dunes along the coast of Lake Michigan. *As a  true Michigander will always do, I am now holding up my left hand and pointing to the pinkie so you know where this is located  in the state.*
With my husband being Chippewa, (his grandfather was the chief back in the 50's)  
Aamjiwnaang First Nation (Chippewas of Sarnia)  He grew up hearing the legend of the Sleeping Bear Dunes...


Sleeping Bear dune, 1700's
THE LEGEND OF THE SLEEPING BEAR

Long ago a great famine had spread over the land. Longingly, a mother bear and two famished cubs walked the shore on the Wisconsin side, gazing wistfully across the great lake at Michigan, which in those days was the land of plenty (as it is today). Finally hunger overcame their timidness and the bears launched out, trying to swim to Michigan. As they got closer and closer to the Michigan shore, the mother's words of encouragement urged on the weary cubs. When only twelve miles from the land of plenty, the mother's heart was rent as she saw a babe sink and drown. With the remaining cub she struggled to gain the beach. Two miles of slow dragging and the second of her beloved cubs also perished.

The mother reached the beach, alone, and crept to a resting place where she lay down facing the restless waters that covered her lost ones. As she gazed, two beautiful islands slowly rose to mark the graves of the cubs. The Great Spirit Manitou created two islands (North and South Manitou Islands) to mark the spot where the cubs disappeared and then created a solitary dune to represent the faithful mother bear.
This picture of the Sleeping Bear dune, as it appeared years ago (actual date unknown), shows its striking resemblance to a sleeping bear. Today, the vegetation in the vicinity has changed markedly, and the resemblance is less obvious. In particular, trees now block the view from several angles.
Sleeping Bear Dunes
(Michigan)
~voted as America's most beautiful place~
This bench is very strategically placed behind this tree. The constant wind literally stings your face with very course sand making it impossible to look out onto the water for very long!
(hence the reference to sand in my teeth)  Protective clothing is a must when visiting the dunes!

Footprints



One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

...Mary Stevenson




This guy keeps getting in my shots......      ^


...And here he is last year aboard the 'Starline' ferry on our way over to Mackinaw Island!
Ha-ha, just kidding..we get a lot of tourists up here from all over the world, I'm sure this isn't the same guy?

Hope you enjoyed my photos..(more to come soon)
~God Bless~
Never Forsaken





12 comments:

  1. Dear Never Forsaken,

    The photos are lovely, and thanks for the reminder not to be blown about by every wind of doctrine, but to build our lives on the sure foundation of the Rock.

    May God bless you and your ministry,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laurie,

    I'm so glad you liked this.. and so glad you appreciate as I do, the true gospel of Jesus!

    ~Loving Peace and Blessings In Jesus~
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I love Lake Michigan and all the great lakes. I was raised in Ontario and during the summer time my dad would take the family out on the boat and we would sail the great lakes. I was totally sea sick but my parents couldn't get me to stay home as I loved the water.

    I love listening to stories from the Native American culture, thanks for sharing this one.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Child Of God,
    I was raised in Port Huron (across from Sarnia, Ontario.) Although the huron can be fierce, Lk. Michigan is the most active(IMO). I don't like sailing myself, but I love to watch the fury of the Lakes from a safe standpoint!

    ~God Bless You~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Port Huron!! I have been there many times by boat. The roughest water I was on was Lake Erie and Lake Michigan. :s Lots of memories of the bucket and beautiful trees!!

    Smiles,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small world! Ever been to Drummond Island by boat? We once took the ferry over there for a vacation when I was little. We sometimes still visit the reservation in Sarnia. My friend's mom would do all her shopping in Sarnia when I was a kid (because of the exchange). I remember how strange it was to have to wear a seatbelt because Michigan didn't have seat belt laws back then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually C.O.G, I meant to ask if you'd ever been to Harson's Island, not Drummond Isle.
    ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa,
    Hmm, no I don't think so. I was pretty young and only remember the bigger places we went to.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post! The photos are lovely and the story is enchanting. Very inspiring : ) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Karen, I am posting a few more maybe later this afternoon or evening. I'm glad you enjoyed!
    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa ~ Love the pictures and the story. Thanks for sharing it.
    Blessings to you...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very welcome Chelle!
    ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate