My Cancer Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Promise Before The Rain



 And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
 And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;

 And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.

 And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.

 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:

 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:

 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth. ( Genesis 9:8-17 KJV)

I had to pick our youngest daughter up from work this afternoon. On the way we were remarking on how beautiful the landscape was. The sky was a very deep gray, but the sun was shining on the trees igniting them in color, a beautiful contrast against the dark backdrop and like icing on a cake we saw a rainbow. It had not rained yet. My daughter said "Look it's God's Promise!"
 (just like when she was little) I replied: "The promise without the rain!"
As we neared home it began to darken and rain. My daughter said "The promise before the rain! To which I replied: "Looks like I found my next blog post!"


So, what is the science behind the rainbow, and does it have to rain in order to see one?

Light and water create rainbows. However, to see a rainbow, it must be raining in one part of the sky, the sun shining from the opposite part, and you must have your back to the sun. Then raindrops, like tiny prisms, scatter the white sunlight into brilliant colors--red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet--and make a rainbow...

 Our backs were to the sun as we traveled, so that would explain why we seen the bow before the rain.


If we think of Jesus as the white light of the Sun (Sonlight),  
it is as though we are looking through this brilliant prism of the light of God's promises; trusting securely in the Lord, and not worrying about what we can not see ahead of us, the storms of life.
When we let God's light shine through us, we become like those raindrops reflecting His light, becoming beautiful like the Savior. 
We can be a  bright token of God's love and promise of eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ.
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world
 (Philipians 2:14-15)


 Oh Lord you're beautiful
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child
your grace abounds to me.


I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to you.


Oh Lord please light the fire
that once burned bright and clean
Replace the lamp of my first love
that burns with holy fear.

~Keith Green's 'Oh Lord Your Beautiful' Lyrics~

...The drops bend the light to scatter it. Light slows when it goes through water and this causes its path to bend.


This made me think of us Christians as the droplets, passing through the Sonlight, making the Light slowly work through us, bending our will into His.

...Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (Hebrews 13:21 KJV)

Did you know ?...
*The Bible begins with a rainbow and ends with a rainbow:


• In the Book of Genesis it says: The Rainbow of God's Promise shines across the world. Genesis 9:16
• In the Book of Revelation it says: The Emerald Rainbow shines around the Throne of God in heaven. A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne. Revelation 4:3b (NIV)





~Double Blessings~
Never Forsaken
















.








5 comments:

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

That's a beautiful post. I love rainbows. They remind me of His covenant with us. I like "God's promise!" better. : ) Even the little details show His glory! God bless!

Ken said...

Great post!
If we will just set our eyes on what is beautiful instead of all the ugly things around us. Sometimes we miss the rainbow because we are worried about the storms (in life).
Blessings,
Ken

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Karen,

I love rainbows too. I hate how the 'world' misuses the rainbow as a symbol for something so contrary to the Word of God though!

Hi Ken,

I love this scripture: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Phil.4:8)

~Have a wonderful weekend & God Bless~

Denise said...

Lovely post! Rainbows are such a beautiful reflection of God's promises. :)

When we live moment by moment in a trusting relationship with Him, every new day is the best day of our lives! We should embrace each new day and celebrate God's love, and shine as an expression of our joy to the world around us!

Blessings and hugs!
Denise

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Denise,
What a wonderful idea- to live moment by moment trusting the Lord. Like Ken said- so we don't miss the rainbows!

~Blessings & hugs to you too!~

Happy? But..I have cancer!

    Are you happy?           Before you jump to an answer for this age-old question..let me ask something else first: Are you angr...