My Cancer Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Reflection on Psalm 34

Psalm 34

1I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
3O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
4I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
6This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
7The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
8O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
9O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
10The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.
11Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?
13Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
14Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.
15The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
16The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
18The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
19Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
20He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
21Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.
22The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

This is one of my favorite Psalms. It is so encouraging;  I especially like how verse 19 says that the righteous shall have many afflictions, but God gives us His promise to deliver us from ALL of them. AMEN!
Also in verse 5 we are told that "they looked unto him and were lightened; and their faces were not ashamed."  This passage tells me that my LORD will remove all heaviness from my heart and I will not be ashamed.... which explains why inVerse 2 "My soul shall make her boast in the LORD. the humble shall hear therof, and be glad"!  So how do we get to this point in our walk with the LORD?.. It's simple:
13Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
14Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

And if we stumble, if we fall:
18The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

I know that whenever I fail it breaks my heart to know that my Heavely Father is disappointed in me. And I looked up the definition of contrite:
con·trite/kənˈtrīt/ [Adjective]
Feeling or expressing remorse or penitence; affected by guilt
So..

I will keep my tongue from evil, and my lips from speaking guile. I will depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. And when I miss the mark ( & I know that I will ); I will cry out to my Father who is near to me because my heart is broken because of my sin, and He will save me because I am remorseful about my guilt. My heart will not be heavy any longer and I will not be ashamed. Thus, sin has no power over me. AMEN & AMEN!

4 comments:

Ken said...

I too love Psalm 34, so many powerful and truthful words. I believe we should all cry out and hate our sin because God hates it and our sin hurts other people also.

Great post and God bless,
Ken

Denise said...

It is so encouraging to to know that God has promised to be close to the brokenhearted, and that when trouble arises He will be by our side! This is a lovely Psalm and post. :)
Denise

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you for your comment Ken,
Yes we should all cry out more. I think sometimes our shame makes us forget that because we feel shame, that qualifies us as one of the righteous in whom God stays close to..Of course only if we believe in Jesus.

Never Forsaken said...

Thanks for your coment Denise,
It's important to remember also that God always keeps His promises!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!