My Cancer Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Are you seeking happiness?


                                                                        
The Pastor said something very interesting Sunday; the sermon was about John 13, where Jesus wrapped a towel around His waist and proceeded to wash the disciples feet even amidst their protests  demonstrating what sort of servants we are to be. I know that Jesus isn’t necessarily asking us to wash feet, but He is telling us we are to have a heart of service to others. Pastor said,” there are only two kinds of service, self service and self-less service and there is no in-between.” I found this to be very profound.

I have never had my feet washed , but I am reminded of the humility of getting your feet washed as I remember when I was a young girl, my grandma had type 1 diabetes, and I would regularly wash her feet and trim her nails as she said I was the only one who would do this without hurting her. Although she enjoyed my doing this for her, she would sometimes make statements like: “Oh I'm so sorry you have to do this for me, I hate asking this of you.” But I didn’t mind it because I loved her very much and knew she needed to care for her feet properly.

As the pastor spoke, my eyes wandered over to verse 17 15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
, isn’t this what everybody wants; to be happy? I realized that in order to be happy serving others, we must love the person whom we are serving, and see them as God does. If we don't, then we will feel only dread or perhaps resentment when we serve others. God doesn't want us to feel obligated, but honored to serve.




Not long ago I did a post entitled: Are you seeking holiness? I guess you could say this post is part 2 of that one, because I have come to realize that the happiness Jesus is promising to us in verse 17 comes from a heart full of a holy love for those whom God sends us to serve.  Lord help us to say: I am happy to be His child and your servant!

10 comments:

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Amen! What a beautiful and insightful post. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you Karen, I hope it will encourage. I know the devil didn't want me to post this today, and even managed to steal the first draft i made in my personal documents, I actually had to quiet my spirit and ask God to restore this message to me, as somehow all I had left was three words saved from the original "in the pew". God is great though and restored all!

Denise said...

Often when I am feeling a little sorry for myself or deep in despair, I find strength and happiness when serving others; God always provides me the strength to pull myself up! :) I love the store about your grandmother! :)
Denise

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Denise,
I know what you mean, It's a good thing to take the focus off ourselves and to focus on somebody else, I know God doesn't want us to get lost in despair; it's too easy to lose hope and feel sorry for ourselves until we encounter someone else worse off.

Child of God said...

Wonderfully said!

I am so glad to hear that you are attending church and worshiping God! I use to struggle with raising my hands in worship but now I love to throw my arms in the air and twirl around because it bring Him much joy knowing I am breaking the boundaries of the criticism of others and pleasing God instead.

Blessings,
<><

lioneagle said...

Hi Lisa -

Thank you

I so enjoyed this rich precious piece.

Your determination to conquer shines through! Glory to GOD!!!

Prayer for you.

Our noble and honorable Lord, please provide the necessary strength, confidence and security to Lisa in huge measure. Stroke her with Your blessed and everlasting love and assurances and allow her to soar as an eagle!
Thank You, Lord, - Amen.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Child of God,
"breaking the boundaries of other people's criticism, and pleasing God" I like that!

Hi lioneagle,

Thank you so much for that glorious prayer!..I am dealing with many things as of late, and Jesus spoke to me in those words just yesterday through the prayer of a dear friend ("you will soar on wings of an eagle")
His grace is sufficient for us, His strength is made perfect when we are weak.. AMEN

Lori said...

Oh, I will be in prayer for you about this.....loved your post, you are a wonderful witness for Christ, I know how hard social anxiety is to overcome, but through Christ we can do all things! He leads us one step at a time when we are ready.....Lori

Ken said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. I am glad you are back in church and the Lord is giving you strength.
I have been doing a study on being a servant in a Bible study in church, so this was a nice compliment to that study.
God bless,
Ken

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Lori & Ken,
Thank you both for your nice comments. Have a blessed weekend!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!