Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can You Walk On Water?

Peter walking on water
(Mat.14:22)


Most of us are familiar with the story; Jesus sends His disciples off in a ship while he goes into the mountains to pray; after a while the small ship becomes caught in a storm at sea.  Jesus then appears to them walking upon the surface of the water; as He approaches, the disciples are fearful because they think they are seeing a ghost.  Jesus assures them not to be afraid for it is Him.  Peter, ever the impulsive one, asks Jesus:
"If it is really you, then ask me to come out to you on the water".
(gotta love that Peter)...Peter starts out with great faith, In fact it took a lot of faith to even ask the Lord to call him out in the first place. I can relate to that kind of faith because I have said "Here am I Lord, use me"; but what happens next is truley an amazing display of faith , remember what FAITH is:
 Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.Hebrews 11:1-3 (in Context) Hebrews 11 (Whole Chapter)
When Peter literally steps out in faith he is creating a reality from something not seen and making it evident to all who are witness to it. That is faith in action, that is what is possible through Faith in Jesus.
But what happens next is something that I think we can all relate to unfortunately; Peter takes his focus from Jesus (the goal), and becoming aware of his circumstances, starts to sink; he cries out to Jesus and  immediately is delivered. The Lord's first response was to immediately save Peter from his circumstance; 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him,    And then He makes this statement: “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
So, Why don't we all walk on water? what stands in our way? How much faith do we actually have and use? Jesus said: Matthew 17:20
...  for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.
Matthew 17:19-21 (in Context) Matthew 17 (Whole Chapter)


 Wow! A mustard seed is really really small, so Jesus is saying that if my faith is really really small, I can command a mountain to move, in fact NOTHING will be impossible for me! 
If someone were to ask me how much faith do I have, I may be inclined to say I have a little bit of faith, but if that is true, then no matter my circumstance, nothing is impossible for me as long as I can keep my focus on Jesus and not on the circumstance.  I can, in essence, re-create the reality of what I see & percieve around me, effecting a result according to the will of God in my life.
(because no matter what we want to happen, it is ultimately dependant upon the will of God for us.) 
So, what stands in our way? Doubt. Doubt is the barrier that we build when we take our eyes off of the Lord even for a moment. I believe Jesus exemplified the endless possibilities that we are created to be capable of.
I don't think I've met anyone on earth yet, apart from Jesus, who has actually moved a mountain or walked on water, so I don't think I have met anyone who has any measure of faith who has never doubted.

 ..So, Jesus is asking, Why do you doubt?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Never Forsaken,

    You know when I think of 'move a mountain' I think of mountains in our lives. I have a lot of mountains in my life and all it takes is a little bit of faith and my eyes on Jesus to move these but some of the mountains seem so huge that I fail. I will stand at the bottom of the mountain looking up and go wow! I hear why do you doubt? I answer because I am afraid. He patiently waits while I shake and fear, then when I am willing to leap He is there, the mountain is gone and I go that wasn't so bad after all.

    Great post, has me thinking about some HUGE mountains that I am quivering at the bottom of.

    Blessings and thanks for praying for my dog. He is not out from the vet yet, maybe tomorrow.

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Child of God.
    I agree with you, I have a lot of small mountains in my life,(sometimes they seem bigger than they really are) and when the Lord has brought me through, it builds on my faith, so when I approach that big mountain, I know I am capable, but it takes such a tiny amount of doubt to hinder me. I am reminded once again of the 23rd Psalm when Jesus leads me in the paths of righteousness, and I know that He will never lead us astray, whether our path is through the valley or through the mountain, we are lead by a trustworthy shephard.
    Hoping your dog is home very soon.
    *One of the first miracles I was witness to was when I actually laid hands on my friends golden retriever and she recovered almost immediately, that was a faith builder for all of us that day, so you can try this too.
    Blessings and Peace In Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting on my blog today! Just stopping by to check in...Smiles! Lori

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate