Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Smaller at the Township Meeting Last Night


Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)

It is said that our world is getting smaller and smaller, this seems to be the case, with media like the internet available to nearly every person in any developed country worldwide, we now have the ability to communicate with people from all over the globe! We are virtually in each other’s home at any given time day or night. Sharing our photo albums,  recipes, and stories  from our everyday life with one another.
Recently I have joined the ‘tiny house blog’: link:http://tinyhouseblog.com/about/thd020910/
CIMG0620
Even though it looks small, there are two extra rooms that we seldom use. Theses spaces usually end up as junk collectors.
I have always liked smaller environments myself. Although our home is not very big…just over 1000 sq.’, My husband and I would prefer an even smaller place, although that will not be possible for another few years when he retires, since we don’t want to be tied to needing to stay in this area. I once told my friend in Ohio that I wish my house were smaller, and she asked if I was crazy as my house is already very small. Some people just will never understand. Of course, that was before the economy took such a grand nose-dive! Now more people are realizing the benefits of living small.
  • Less space to maintain and clean, which translates into having more time and money to pursue other interests!
  • Less expense in terms of mortgage, utilities, and buying less stuff ... (less room for excess)
  • Lower property taxes
  • Learning self restraint and organization when it comes to possessions
  • Having the money to buy better quality, longer lasting products
Having back problems has taught me that a smaller and better organized living space allows me to be more productive as well as less stressed about taking care of more than I can easily handle, even on a good day.

CIMG0694
This is my little Nook where I spend much of my time.
CIMG0696
Notice the beautiful view, even on this cold rainy day!
Here is the view from my comfy bed!.
I am not ashamed to admit that I like naps!CIMG0705CIMG0690
Here is a close up of the pretty nightlight I got at a garage sale last weekend. I thought it was well worth $2, even though my husband did have to rewire it, (he used stuff he already had)

CIMG0685CIMG0686
As you can see, I am not the only one who likes to nap…Now to kick these two off my bed so I can take one!
*Note the look on Sasha’s face as she is watching Bud yawn, you can almost hear her thinking “what a big mouth!”

WARNING!…BORING ZONING JIBBER-JABBER AHEAD!
When I was a zoning administrator, I was often in pursuit of finding the gray areas of the law in order to help a property owner get around the minimum square footage requirement in the Ordinance. I was not always successful in my endeavors however, and witnessed on more than one occasion a property owner unable to build on that much needed second bedroom or larger bathroom because they would need to build their tiny cottage up to meet the minimum, which meant building a much larger addition than needed or intended. This was preposterous!
I would fight with the planning commission over lowering the requirements for residential living space and even stop them from even considering raising it even higher, citing the fact that the majority of residences were already well below the current standard, thus making it difficult to utilize one’s property in the manner for which it was intended. Which was the backbone of the Master Plan of the Township, which is…the standard by which we are to base any changes to the Zoning Ordinance upon after all!
 So, I have been resigned from my position for nearly three years now, but my dear husband has remained on the planning commission, and once again the commission brought up the prospect of increasing the minimum square footage! My husband reminded them that the economy has made it necessary for many to downsize their dwelling space, and that an increase in the minimum required, would likely cause an undo hardship for the people of the township who were striving to improve their homes.  Why place a barrier in front of those who are trying to make an improvement?…So, last night the planning commission agreed to lower the minimum required from 720 sq.’ down to 400 sq.’! Which seemed to aggravate the township supervisor to no end. He is concerned about tax revenue of course.
This was a huge victory for something that I've fought for for many years
Yay for the Planning Commission!...Now it still needs to get past the Board of Trustees. Urg!
( End of Zoning Jibber-Jabber )...for now
So now that I have written extensively about living well within a smaller footprint upon this earth, let me share what I have learned about living out my faith and sharing Jesus in many small ways that can have a HUGE impact on someone...Face it, I will never be a missionary to some far off land, nor will I get the opportunity to stand in front of millions like Billy Graham and preach the simple Good News of Jesus Christ; I hardly ever venture away from my home for goodness sakes! But there are the occassions when I need to do some shopping and may see someone struggle with a heavy door, or getting their cart around some boxes in the aisle, what does a Christian do when faced with these scenerios? Simple...lend a helping hand, and when (if) thanked tell them something like God Bless You, or if time allows, tell them you want to be more like Jesus by helping others!
"God Bless You"...3 simple words, but what happens when you tell this to someone? I have noticed when someone says this with sincerity to another person, especially someone who wasn't expecting it. That person will either reverently say "thank you", or "you too".. ..Just remember not to put on your Baptist face (sorry, but my old baptist minister used to say that all the time)..Smile, and smile like you mean it! There are many little ways I have used to show my faith towards others, but listing them here would be going against what God's Word teaches:
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven." (Mat. 6:1)
So, anyway...If I can do this, anyone can do this...remember I struggle with social anxiety so when I approach a stranger it takes the strength of Jesus to keep me from getting a full blown anxiety attack!
That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:10)


So here is wishing you find true contentment in life, and a heart felt
~God Bless You~
And remember...We are Never Forsaken

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I live in a tiny house too, about 700 square feet. It's fun! Kind of like living in a dollhouse. I love all the challenges of making it work. There are many ways to be a missionary and by being a good example of a Christian woman is serving the Lord. Which is evident by the way you helped the homeowners. Zoning laws really get my dander up, some are so unreasonable. Guess it's the libertarian in me. Although, I admit, I'd be pretty upset if someone built a tar paper shack next to my house! So bless you, Lisa, for being a light and not hiding it under a bushel basket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! don't get me started about the tar paper shacks...
    Thanks Jane ;{
    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love naps, too. And who wouldn't want to nap on that great looking quilt!!?? It is soooo pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    That pretty quilt was a dollar store find on sale for less than $20 a couple years ago!..I have had it on the couch, on a bench, over a quilt rack, and now finally on the bed where I love it! It washes up really well too...which is a must!
    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa ~ Love your little nook, room and quilt. Your house looks perfect. That night light is the best...especially for $2!
    Blessings to you...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chelle,
    Thanks for the compliment. That's what's nice about pictures, you can hide a lot of the imperfections...I do appreciate what we have, but I know without the Lord no place could feel much like home to us here on this earth. I love to see where people spend their time with the Lord, it will usually reflect the peacefulness, no matter where it is.
    ~God Bless~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate