My Cancer Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Halfway!

This was me last Friday getting my third treatment.
Were they ever busy in there...We were there for eight hours!

Poor Pam, my nurse...she was running non-stop. It looked like the doc had at least three new patients that day. She said the problem was there were not enough chairs...I told her that the problem seemed to be that there were too many people with cancer.
Since the infusion rooms are private, the only chance I get to visit with people (aside from the staff), is in the waiting room. I always pay attention for the Lord to point me to someone that maybe just needs a listening ear, or a hug. That day I had the honor of meeting a young woman whom I had heard about back when I had my surgery last December. She is a nurse at the hospital there who found breast cancer while she was pregnant with her third child. What a sweet girl...I am glad to have met her and at the moment she needed someone to mother her a bit. She was alone and scared, so we talked about her fears...Cancer is very scary, and after chemo is finished, it can be even scarier since you worry that it may come back. During treatment you actually feel a sense of security since the likelihood of a new growth is almost nil.
She showed me pictures of her three little ones...so cute! And the baby boy with the full head of hair made us laugh at the irony of it.

Looking back through this whole thing so far has me seeing everything in a different light today. It is easy to say sometimes that the enemy of our souls is achieving his plan to steal, kill, and destroy...

“the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; ...

But, when you step back a bit and take a broader look, you can see that he only has an arena in which to showcase his nasty stuff...And when he is finished with his act...The real show begins.
For every blow he strikes, The Lord has a counter strike...and more might, and he has the ability to bind the enemy.

...I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10 

The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work. 1John 3:11

I see a roaring lion in center ring terrifying the children of God,
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
(1peter 5:8)

circling them and pawing at the ground while he shows his teeth. He may get in a scratch or two...maybe even pin one of us down, but when the spotlight shifts and spans outward illuminating the darkness outside the arena...I see the Lion of Judah sitting regally, eyes fixed upon the enemy, his muscles flexed, and ready to deliver a powerful strike that will send the enemy reeling. His power has no match, and his heart is set upon his children.  


Sometimes we get roughed up during the course of this battle... we may get stepped on or kicked a bit as we are caught in the middle...But we know instinctively that we are safe while in His presence, no matter the circumstances surrounding us. He fights for us, not against us.  
So when I look into the eyes of a young mother who is surviving a terrible disease, I do not see the disease, but the miracle of life in the faces of her children, and a heart of love that comes straight from our Creator to conquer and destroy the threat to His children...to our children.
She and I are in agreement, cancer is not a death sentence...It's a second chance at life!
Love and life prevails. 
Back when I was in the hospital and talking with the Chaplin, I remember saying that God never intended for this disease to invade my body...it was never his plan. But the Chaplin reminded me that although it was not God's plan, it became one of the consequences of man choosing sin over obedience way back at the beginning, in the garden...This world is sick because of us...But Jesus gave us the ability to overcome the world and all its sickness if we have faith in the One who conquered death and cleanses us of our sins.



As always I appreciate your continued prayers as I go through treatment. It was especially difficult this week as I had severe bone pain from the shot that I get to raise my WBC after chemo. It works on the bone marrow to increase the production of white blood cells, and it landed me in bed all of yesterday. I am feeling much better today though, just in time to get my weekly blood work done.
My checkup went well, the doc is keeping his eye on the red blood cells and platelets, as these also continue to fall (which is expected). He said that I should be a cheerleader for the other patients as I am doing so well...It is because people are praying.
Even on the rough days...it is good because Jesus carries me, and gives me even more grace.

~Blessings & Love~
and remember, we are...

~NEVER FORSAKEN~

19 comments:

Sharon said...

This was really an awesome post! I especially loved your word picture of the arena, and this was my very favorite line: "... he only has an arena in which to showcase his nasty stuff..."

It so put into perspective the idea that this world is just the enemy's arena - just a temporary place for him to act up. As you said, the real show is what happens when the King speaks!

You continue to be an inspiration for me. And I know you are bringing much encouragement to all those you are in contact with. I will add this dear young mother to my prayers. May she be empowered with the strength that comes from the Lion of Judah.

GOD BLESS!

Never Forsaken said...

Amen to your prayer!
I love it when the Lord gives us a picture of what is going on unseen around us...It does help with our perspective.
No matter what, God's Word says that no weapon formed against us will prosper...so that means just what it says...The weapons the enemy uses will not win. Jesus has the final say. And he will deliver that final blow.
Blessings and love, My friend~ Lisa

child of God said...

Halfway!!! :)
I love how Father is carrying you through this. You look so good even though you are going through so much.
Satan's rebellion has caused so much pain, not only to us but to the heavens and the earth. Praise Father for His Son Jesus for in Him we do have freedom and can rise above this destruction.
Love how you were there to mother a mother in need. Let us know how we can mother you.

Hugs and many prayers.
<><

Denise said...

I love you, and pray for you always. take care.

Reformed rebel said...

Halfway....that's good!! By the way, you look great!! GOD is good. I love how He is using you to speak to others. He is enlarging your territory so to speak. Personally...I am encouraged every time I read what you write. Thank you for sharing with our journey with us.

Love you and praying for you
Chelle

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
you look really well, and that hairstyle really suits you. You are right, it is not God who puts sickness upon us, and the one who does is a liar and a thief. However, the one thing he can not steal from us is our faith in God. He is a rock and will keep us in perfect peace when we have our minds stayed upon Him. How lovely that you were able to comfort that young lady. We cannot imagine now how it would be without God in our lives, but we are able to introduce that wonderful Comforter to those who may not know Him. There is purpose in everything.
God bless you Lisa, and the young nurse too.

Crown of Beauty said...

Lisa, I am definitely in agreement with you and that young mother...cancer is not a death sentence...It's a second chance at life!d chance at life! The enemy will defeat us only if we let him. And what's more, his only weapons are lies, but we have Someone named TRUTH who is on our side, and He has already won the victory. Your blog posts are such an encouragement, so much so that the cancer is giving you a platform from which to launch an attack on the enemy. I am keeping you in my prayers. Meeting you and getting to know you as a dear blog friend is among God's best gifts to me for the year 2013. Because if I had not gotten to know you, I would have missed out on so much by not being able to read the beautiful story Abba Father is writing through your life! Hold on... you are halfway through. We are fighting from the standpoint of victory.

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Hi Lisa you look so cute in that wig. I'm so glad you are half way through the chemo. Soon you'll be out walking the dogs in the beautiful spring flowers again. I'm looking forward to it for sure. We had way too much snow this year, but it's not unusual in NJ. I went to do a photo shoot day before yesterday, it was over 60 degrees! The trees are barren twigs and trunks. Squirrels run around looking for meals after a long winter. I even saw a woodpecker : ) Sometimes faith is like the trees. It all seems so barren and ugly. I took lots of pictures because I thought it was a good illustration of my faith sometimes. I'm sure you still have days where you just want to curl up under a blanket and sleep. It's ok Spring is coming!!! And so is Jesus. Just rest now and find His peace. You're doing great! This drought will end soon.

7 But we have this treasure in a earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; 8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So death works in us, but life in you.
(2 Corinthians 4:7-12 NASB)

I love those verses. God bless my friend love ya! Here's my prayer-
Dear Heavenly Father,
I lift up Lisa to You. She is such a blessing to us and I can't thank You enough for letting us have her as a sister. I pray you will massage her bones and body, help her find peaceful wonderful naps. Restore her soul and heal her body. Help her to heal quickly and quietly. I pray for wisdom for all the doctors and nurses. Help them know how to help best.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Never Forsaken said...

I know what you mean, even when we see the splendor of nature, we also see signs everywhere of the corruption on earth.
It felt good to mother the young woman who is the same age as our oldest...You have all mothered me in more ways than one...encouragement is one of the best things a Mom can give her children. And prayer is a Mother's language.
((hugs)) <3

Never Forsaken said...

I love you too, Denise...Praying for your healing and God's hand to guide Eddie.
~In Jesus~

Never Forsaken said...

Thanks Chelle,
Most of the time I feel pretty good too.
I never thought of it that way...enlarging my territory :) I like that.
Love you too...and praying for you too!

Never Forsaken said...

That is so true, Brenda...Our faith is rock solid when we know the one in whom we have securely placed our faith...Jesus.
He is the author and finisher of our faith.
I pray for the young nurse everyday...Jeff and I prayed for her in the waiting room that day.
Such a Comfort Jesus brings...it really is not describable.
Blessings and love to you, my friend

Never Forsaken said...

I count you as a blessing too, Lydia...It all knits together, the lives we encounter and touch...our stories are one story with many chapters.
And the author is our Father!
Abba Father is not finished writing yet!
This fight transcends the physical and can become more spiritual when those lies fly my way...It is my faith that the enemy seeks to destroy...But God has given me the vantage point high above where I can watch and see how He fights for me.
I am living according to Psalm 91!
With blessings and love to you~ Lisa

Never Forsaken said...

I just love that scripture...It describes the battle. And I thank you with tears for that wonderful prayer...I feel so spoiled by my sweet sisters in Christ as you so warmly fill me with encouragement and inspiration...God is so good, and His love and grace shines through you...Yes...Spring is coming, and so is Jesus...That will be the best day in history! My prayer is that people will get ready ~In Jesus~
Love you, my friend & sister

Alex said...

Dear Lisa ~ so very glad to hear the 'fight' in your voice and sense it in your spirit: supported on your wave of prayer you are reaching new heights, it is amazing to witness.
Jesus is LIFE!! As He said Himself.
That is not just a line to read, or study..it is something real to experience and share,
and you are doing that brilliantly!
Thank you for inspiring me!
Love,
Alex

Susie Swanson said...

Amen. I agree with you. You are a very inspiring and beautiful lady. Blessings and Prayers, Susie

Dee said...

Your beautiful inside and out.....♥

Connie Arnold said...

So sorry you have to go through this, but what a blessing The Lord is using you to help others and be such an inspiration! Praying for your continued healing, strong faith and encouragement to others.

Delisa said...

Hi Lisa, thank you for the beautiful comment you left on my blog today! It is always so nice to hear from you. I'm sorry you have had a rough week. Bone pain can be pretty miserable. I get just a little taste of it each year, for a couple of days after an i.v. I take for my bone density. You are such a trouper Lisa and being able to keep your spiritual perspective during the rough times and you are an inspiration to us. You looked so beautiful today in your picture! Have a nice evening ahead and rest well. With Love, Delisa :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!