My Cancer Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

It's been one week since...

Emma 'Rosa' August 26th 1996~January 31st 2013
 Our beloved little Emma Rosa left us at 6:30 am Thursday morning January 31st.
She was cradled in my husbands arms with me and Sasha close by.

 
I watched a you tube video by a guy who is a professional dog trainer. He said that dogs do not feel sorry for one another so we should not allow our dying dog to see our emotions...He is very wrong.
Sasha stayed up the entire night with Emma as she fought to stay alive.
 
 
The way she put her paw on the blanket, keeping close. She cried often, and when Emma passed away, she climbed into the bed with us and cried very loudly, touching Emma with her snout.
 




When we had carpeting installed, we put the couch in the kitchen where she used it to climb up onto the counter and helped herself to her favorite beverage...Coffee with cream, no sugar, and don't even think about giving it to her black!
(Notice the little 'Emma look alike' in the background?)

 



 
The house has been eerily quiet since she's been gone. Emma may have been tiny, but she snored very loudly...often waking herself up!
I find mornings to be the hardest. It feels strange to make myself a cup of coffee without making her one too. Even Buddy and Sasha refused to take their morning dog biscuit one morning...they were waiting for me to put Emma's bowl of coffee down first, as has been the routine for so many years.
The day Emma died, Buddy started his hound dog singing, but stopped when he realized his back up singer was gone...Emma would throw her head back and howl to accompany him every day. Sasha has never been able to howl except during sleep... (weird).
 
After sixteen years with our family, she had seen all three of our children grow up as well as Sasha and Buddy. We nick-named her 'The senior citizen' of our family.She was even there when I lost my Mom, and then two years later, Jeff's Dad.
 We often joked about how Emma seemed more like a cat than a dog because she had such a mind of her own. She would only come when called if she felt like it.
She never hesitated to put the other dogs in their place. If she had been a bigger dog, she would have been a force to reckon with! (She was a big dog inside a tiny body) She picked fights with bigger dogs from time to time...our cocker spaniel who died in 2003, saved her life once when she was chased by a very large and angry Ridge Back who had come into our yard uninvited.
But she had a tender side as well. We once caught her trying to nurse some kittens that our cat gave birth to about 14 -15 years ago. We ended up having to give her our daughter's stuffed kittens (pound kittens, I think they were called) to sleep with.
When someone she loved visited, she would greet them by falling at their feet wiggling all over on her back while kicking her legs....But it was a no-no to pick her up...she would wait until they sat down, and then she would jump onto their lap~ Except for our daughter Sam...She was the most loved by Emma, therefore she was allowed to pick her up at anytime.
 
Things do work out for the best...Sam had gotten a chihuahua puppy the very same day that Emma died...She had planned for the pup for awhile, and recieved the call that her pup was ready for her to pick up just the night before!
 
 
photo.JPG
Meet Molly

Sam will be bringing her when she visits in April. It will be a while before she gets her first cup of coffee though.
So, it's been a whole week since she's been gone. I dreaded making this post, as I knew it would be emotional, but I am glad that I did it. I know many of the folks who read this blog understand the bond we have with our beloved pets...God only allows them to share our lives for a few years, but how boring life would be without them! Although Emma is gone from our home, she will forever live on in our hearts.
Buddy sings solo, and I drink my morning coffee alone now, Sam has a new chihuahua puppy, and life goes on.
And Emma is held safely in God's hand.
~God Bless~

But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee.
 Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this?
In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind. (Job 12:7-10)

24 comments:

Reformed rebel said...

I am so sorry Lisa. I know how hard that is. Losing one you love is hard. Praying for you.

chelle

Child of God said...

Sorry Lisa. :( It sure does hurt to lose one of our dearly loved pets.
Praying for you.
<><

Brenda said...

Oh Lisa,
I know exactly how you feel, we have lost some beautiful pets over the years. One cat lived until she was twenty four years old. I commend you and your husband for being loving carers of your little Emma. She could not have been sent to live with better people I am sure. I wish that all animals that are placed with people were loved.

Never Forsaken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Never Forsaken said...

Chelle, Child of God, Brenda,
Thank you for your kind words and for your prayers.
Brenda, I agree, I wish all pets were cared for and loved too. I believe God gave man animals in order to help teach us how to love unconditionally.

Susie Swanson said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.. Losing a pet is so devastating.. I have went through this and the hurt can be so painful... They are our family..Praying for you.

Ken said...

Lisa, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is always hard to lose a loved pet.
May God bless you,
Ken

Denise said...

So very sorry for your loss, bless you.

Never Forsaken said...

Susie, Ken, Denise,
Your prayers are so very appreciated,
Thank you. ~I pray for God's blessings to you as well!

Peggy said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Emma. It's always so hard to lose a dog. They become like family, especially when our children grow up and leave home. Then our pets are our family. I'm glad you have so many sweet memories of her. I'm praying for you and your family. Hope you are staying well and warm this winter.

Denise said...

Oh sweet friend, I am so sorry! I have been through the lives of three very special doggies; my beloved friends, and I know the pain and sorrow we feel. What a beautiful and loving tribute you have written!

Blessings and love special lady!
Denise

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
for some reason there was only a small part of your post showing up when I read it earlier and left a comment. I have just read the rest now and absolutely agree with the fact that animals have loving emotions and care about one another. I have a lifetime of stories about this fact. It has been lovely to read this post and God bless you and your family for loving the little friends that He has placed in your care.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Peggy,

Yes when the kids leave the nest we tend to mother our pets a lot more, lol!
We are staying warm, but I will be taking the dogs outside to play in all this wonderful snow today...it is just too pretty to ignore!

Denise,
Yes, I wanted to pay her a tribute since she was such a special little character, it is sad that we lose them after only a few years...even though sixteen seems like a lot, though about average for smaller dogs.

Brenda,
I'm sure your stories are worth hearing as you do have a way with words (I absolutely adored what you wrote about the white dove!)...God bless you and your family as well.

Dieneke said...

Thank you for following my blog.
I am very sorry for your lost.
God Bless you!

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you Dieneke,
God bless you too!

CAROLDEE said...

Losing a beloved fur family member aches just as much as a human one and takes just as long to grieve over. My heart and prayers go to you and the family including the pups..I know the loss is a huge one. Love and prayers...

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you Caroldee,
I can't believe it will be two weeks tomorrow.
It is still hard as so many reminders are all around...especially in the morning when I make that first cup of coffee!
There is some comfort (just like when an older person dies) in knowing that she lived a very good and long life.
We took the dogs for a long hike to let them play and explore a couple of days afterwards, and that seemed to really help pull Sasha out of her depression...it helped us too!
Thank you for the loving prayers, they are so appreciated.
~Blessings and love~ Lisa

Dee said...

I am so very sorry for your loss...it is always difficult . I have a kitty that is not doing well :( I became a new follower of yours. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog...I always enjoy a fellow Michigan blogger. I moved to Ann Arbor from the mitt area.

Simply Shelley said...

I am so very sorry. I have a pet,Duke, who has just turned 14....he is weak and feeble. I know soon I too will have to bid him farewell,and it grieves me so. I pray God's Holy Spirit gives you comfort in the days to come as you morn your loss.....blessings

Never Forsaken said...

@~Dee,
Thank you for following along!
I will be praying for your kitty.
Ann Arbor is a nice area...much busier than here though.~God bless~ Lisa

@~Shelley,
I will be praying for Duke, and for you and your family to get through the difficult time when it comes...sooo sad :( But the Holy Spirit is the comforter of our hurting hearts!
~God bless~ Lisa


samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
samantha said...

I love your blog by the way!!!

samantha said...

Thank you for giving Emma such a beautiful blog. I miss her everyday and sometimes catch myself calling my new puppy Emma. I think of Emma almost everyday and knowing she lived a full happy loving life makes me feel ok about her departure. Having a puppy since 9 years old and now being 25, isn't just having a pet, it's like a member of the family. I can't wait for you to meet Molly. I love you mom. Always.

Never Forsaken said...

Awe Sam,
This made my day! I am so glad you have your puppy, and I know she will be given the best life possible too because you are her mama!
I love you too ((hugs)) ~ MoM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!