Friday, November 9, 2012

Lost rewards, no big deal?

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work" (Revelation 22:12)

Look to yourselves, that ye lose not the things which we have wrought, but that ye receive a full reward. (2 John 8)












Quite honestly, I must admit, I am guilty of not trying as hard as I should to do more things for the Lord. I rest in the blessed assurance of my salvation through the grace of what Jesus accomplished on the cross, but then get a bit slack when it comes to what I can do for Him. (of course there is nothing we can possibly do to pay Him back fully!) We are incapable of this, just as we are incapable of paying the sin debt ourselves in the first place.

However,

In my anticipation of the glory of what living forever in Heaven with my beloved Savior might be like...I am stunted in my vision of that splendor. I tend to envision a wonderful beauty beyond imagination...which is, of course, true.
But, what I am not seeing, is that, whle earning rewards are like a 'bonus' for us to enjoy when we get there...I tend to think I will be happy enough to just get to live there forever...and that rewards are just some extras...
So, here's a little exercise the Lord gave me to do...it's a visionary exercise:

Imagine a place, a day,or event here on earth where you were at your happiest ever...where you often revisit in your mind...a place of peace and calm, joy and love....Go ahead and get that picture in your mind...I'll wait.

Here is one of mine (in case you need some help)~


 


 

Now, imagine that place looking more like this:


Still pretty, but not as much, right?

Well, in context of where we live, we can draw assessments of whether a place is beautiful or just pretty, glorious or just ordinary.
Of course the most beautiful place here on earth will pale in comparison to the least glorious place in Heaven! 
 I hope you can grasp the meaning behind this little visual exercise, in order to appreciate the importance of wanting to do as much as we can for the Lord, whenever we have opportunity, while here on earth (in our mortal bodies).
Because, not only does God want to bless us above and beyond our wildest imagination...but the more we please Him, the more it blesses Him and brings Him glory!


~Bless The Lord O My Soul~

Chorus:
Bless the Lord, Oh my soul
And all that is within me
Bless His holy name


Verse:
He has done great things
He has done great things
He has done great things
Bless His holy name
....by Andrea Crouch

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galations 6:10)
 

Barnes' Notes on the Bible (continue for more insight and commentary)
 That we lose not those things which we have wrought - Margin: "Or, gained." Some copies read: "which ye have gained, but that ye." The reading here referred to in the margin is found in several manuscripts and also in the Vulgate, the Syriac, and the Aethiopic versions. It is not, however, adopted in the late critical editions of the New Testament, and the common reading is probably genuine. The sense is not materially varied, and the common reading is not unnatural. John was exhorting the family to whom this Epistle was written to take good heed to themselves while so many artful errorists were around them, lest they should be drawn away from the truth, and lose a part of the full reward which they might hope to receive in heaven. In doing this, nothing was more natural than that he, as a Christian friend, should group himself with them, and speak of himself as having the same need of caution, and express the feeling that he ought to strive also to obtain the full reward, thus showing that he was not disposed to address an exhortation to them which he was not willing to regard as applicable to himself. The truth which is taught here is one of interest to all Christians - that it is possible for even genuine Christians, by suffering themselves to be led into error, or by failure in duty, to lose a part of the reward which they might have obtained. The crown which they will wear in heaven will be less bright than that which they might have worn, and the throne which they will occupy will be less elevated. The rewards of heaven will be in accordance with the services rendered to the Redeemer; and it would not be right that they who turn aside, or falter in their course, should have the same exalted honours which they might have received if they had devoted themselves to God with ever-increasing fidelity. It is painful to think how many there are who begin the Christian career with burnings zeal, as if they would strike for the highest rewards in heaven, but who soon waver in their course, and fall into some paralyzing error, until at last they receive, perhaps, not half the reward which they might have obtained. But that we receive a full reward - Such as will be granted to a life uniformly consistent and faithful; all that God has to bestow on his people when most faithful and true. But who can estimate the "full reward" of heaven, the unspeakable glory of those who make it the grand business of their lives to obtain all they can of its bliss. And who is there that does not feel that he ought to strive for a crown in which not one gem shall be missing that might have sparkled there forever?
 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I love your pictures and that clip is beautiful! :) You live in an amazing place, so peaceful.

    Like you, I know we can never even begin to repay God for all He has done for us and we are not to even think we can because it is a gift and a gift should never be repaid. I get past this feeling of not doing enough for Him by just turning my whole life into an act of worship. Even in sitting and doing nothing I turn into worship. We were created to worship Him and if that is all we can do for Him that is enough because true worship turns into witnessing for Him.

    Beautiful post and I love the changes you made here on this blog.

    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent attitude! You are right, we were made to worship Him...Something that is functioning in accordance with the purpose for which it was made needs little to no effort to function that way...contrary to this, trying to do something we were not meant for is difficult and usually has bad results.
      Surrender... means to standing still..and allowing God to move through you.

      Glad you liked this :)

      Delete
  2. I love your pictures and the post is just what I needed today. I agree, we can never repay him for what he does.. We couldn't even get out of bed or have the next breath.. I keep telling myself that everyday.. So many people in worse shape than we are.. I praise him for every minute of good health and blessings galore.. Thank you for the sweet words on mine.. I will miss you too.. Hope you have a nice evening, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, this is a precious posting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Jedidja
      I'm glad you were blessed by it!
      ~God's Blessings, to you~ Lisa

      Delete
  4. Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just
    I get that type of information written in such a perfect
    way? I've a project that I'm just now running on, and I have been on the
    glance out for such info.
    Feel free to surf my website :: weightloss Tea

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate