My Cancer Blog

Friday, October 23, 2015

When I grow up.

 
These are some of my current art projects...The last one I made with the intention of coloring them someday.





What kind of grown up do you want to be?

That is a question reserved for children isn't it?

Hi friends, I was listening to 'Family Life Radio' on my way to Bible study yesterday when they asked that question...It was meant for those of us who are already grown ups, and the question was actually about what sort of person you wanted to be when you become an older adult. Well, I know a lot of my friends who read this blog are older adults, and since I was on my way to Bible study where most of the ladies are older adults, it made me think about the attributes that I so admire about my older and wiser friends...and the many valuable things that I have learned and am  still learning from them....Things like patience, gentleness, kindness, respect for others, humbleness, and loving the Lord and others.
Daily I pray that God will help me to be like this...
 (1 Peter 3:4):
 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.

 God has truly placed many precious older women into my life since I was very young, and now that I am growing older myself I hope that I can be an example to the younger women too. This is scriptural...

 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. (Titus 2: 3-5)

Having raised three daughters, I do have some experience with teaching younger women...But now that I am back in church I realize that when I left I was still considered a young woman and now I have returned as an older woman which means I have a new responsibility within my church family to be a good example to and to teach and encourage the younger wives and mothers.
The question posed by the radio station was two-fold. The second part of that question was: What are you doing now to become the older adult that you feel the Lord wants you to be? I can't honestly and completely answer that yet, I am doing this one thing for now though...I am patiently  waiting to hear what the Lord is trying to say through His Word and through the older friends who He has placed in my life, and I am learning to be a kinder, more loving person who resembles the Savior more as I grow older. At least that is my goal!
*But this doesn't mean that I must be a grown up all the time...Me and my best friend Deb are arranging a play date real soon...We are both pretty artsy fartsy so we're gonna get together and draw and color like a couple of little girls!

So, my dear friends...
How would you answer the questions?


~Blessings & Love~
and always remember, we are...

~NEVER FORSAKEN~

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
I think the only answer I would have for that question is 'The kind of grown up the Lord wants me to be.'
I like your pictures very much. I love art too, especially using water colours. I have been feeling lately that I want to get back to painting and I have a few things in mind that I would like to paint. I love painting tigers or wild cats, and portraits, and I have a picture from a newspaper of a 'lazy leopard' hanging from a tree and a photo of a man's face that I would like to have a go at - so I probably will.

Denise said...

If I ever grow up, lol I want to be whatever my Father chooses.

Jane said...

I hope that I am becoming a compassionate, merciful and selfless person. That is what I strive for but often fail. Sounds like a nice play date, Lisa. Hope you have lots of fun!

Hugs
Jane

Never Forsaken said...

Great answer Brenda. I would love to see some of your artwork. It's getting started that is the hard part. That picture of the lazy leopard sounds nice...Have fun!

Never Forsaken said...

Perfect, Denise...Remember you don't always have to be a grown up...And having a child-like faith is what we should always have.

Never Forsaken said...

Those are honorable traits to strive for! God bless.

Jedidja said...

Beautiful questions. I am pleased with your blog. Of course, I hope that you as an older woman will blog about how we as women find peace and joy in God. And how can practice that when we meet difficult things on our way, in our lives as women. You can teach us how to deal with disease and stress. I think younger women but also women from the sixties like me are looking for it.

And that is what I try to do. You are older and wiser than me. Share your experience on your blog and in public life so I can learn :-)

O yes, I love drawing too. Two weeks ago I cleaned out the attic. I found my old books with drawings. It was so nice. Now I see I think your blog: I'll start drawing again? But writing is my first love.

Never Forsaken said...

I am so pleased that I have inspired you to draw again! And never stop writing, Jedidja...You have a God given talent!
I would not want to trade the peace and joy that I have learned in my older age for all the pleasures of youth! God does bless us in a special way as we grow older in His grace.
Thank you so much for your encouragement and for your wisdom too, my friend...even though you are younger than I, you have so much to share with me and to inspire me too!

Sharon said...

Question - at 61, am I now one of those *older women*?? Probably, huh?! I sure hope to set a good example to other women. I want to reflect Jesus, even if it's a reflection with some more wrinkles and sags than before! Thought of this verse:

"Do not let your adorning be external...but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." (1 Peter 3:3-4, ESV)

In so many older women, this is the beauty that I see. I want that for myself, too.

GOD BLESS!

(For the record, I might be growing older, but I sure hope I never grow up!! I want to stay childlike in my faith...)

Never Forsaken said...

Well, Sharon, you are older than I am, but much younger than many of my friends...So that makes you one of the younger ones, lol!
Oh, never, never grow up!
I don't intend to...but we will grow older....and thank the Lord he has given us women in our lives who are such good examples!

Happy? But..I have cancer!

    Are you happy?           Before you jump to an answer for this age-old question..let me ask something else first: Are you angr...