Tuesday, April 9, 2013

One crazy bird?

I did not intend to write a new blog post today. No, my plan was to visit everyone else's blogs instead; and that was going quite nicely until I became too distracted by this crazy robin who seems to be trying desperately to get into my house. First it began at the window in the spare room and after awhile when I closed the drapes it seemed to have left. Then came back last evening and even though it should have been busy nesting or something it just continued to tap at and try to get in that window!

I think the crazy bird is just trying to interact with his reflection. I do not know for sure, but he seems to think he has found his mate!
 Every time I go out there, he flies a short distance to where the other robins are doing their normal robin things like picking the juicy worms from the ground and looking for a suitable mate etc...But, as soon as I come back into the house he returns to wooing himself at the windows or door even though there appears to be many other robins to choose from.

This morning I was awakened by that familiar clunking again, only this time it is trying to get into the back door. Even the dogs are not scaring it away...In fact, Buddy is afraid to walk down the hallway because of the crazy bird at the back door!
So I have tried closing blinds, even tried scaring it away and still it persists!

Here is the video I took yesterday morning when I still thought it was cute:
(Fast forward to 3:16...that is where the action starts, and apparently may never end, LOL!)

http://wordsonmywindow.blogspot.com/

 All the blinds are pulled and the dogs have both gone back to bed since they seem to be able to ignore it...I wish I could.
I'm sure as soon as this is over, I will be able to use this for a post with a lesson illustrating some scriptural truth. I know there is one in there somewhere....but for now...IGN (I got nuthin')

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31

20 comments:

  1. We hit our heads constantly in something that we think it's the right thing to do. We go against the grain because we know that this is the way to do it...until someone points out with a great deal of love and compassion... "you have wasted your time...you are going the wrong way"

    This is what this bird is showing me. How susceptible we are to the illusion of reality, when it is in fact the wrong one.

    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,

      I love it that you have found the lesson in this! It is a good analogy too, thank you :)

      ~God bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  2. Hi Deanna, Oh I know this scenario all too well. Last year we had some big black birds (not as cute as Robins) pecking at the skylights in my kitchen. I looked up one time and saw him tear something and my husband thinks they were loosening up the weather stripping around the window and maybe eating it..or using it for their nest? It kind of scared me because the last thing I need is water coming through there.
    Your Robin is certainly persistent, coming back and all. I know what you mean about thinking that it is cute in the beginning, I did too, and then all of a sudden I got irritated. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystal lynn,

      That sounds pretty bad to have birds tearing your house apart!

      I know they use just about anything for nesting material including dried morning glories that I had hanging up to use for seeding next year...but weather stripping?
      We have had young woodpeckers tapping at the metal stove pipe just about every year, but that's about the worst of it (so far)!

      It's been quiet for a couple hours or so because it is pouring rain out ...haven't been this happy about a rainy day before :)
      ~God bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Blessed, not stressed..hahaha, I love that!
      Thanks Denise!

      Delete
  4. Maybe a post about perseverance? I'm sure you'll find something wonderful. You've been such an encouragement to me about how to live with chronic pain. thanks so much for all your wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Peggy, that is such a kind thing to say, and I am glad that I have been able to help...I actually don't think I could come up with anything better than what Maria said (at the top of comments) Her analogy makes good sense!
      My husband had a township meeting last night and the chairmen has had a robin do this for years, he said it is a male defending it's territory from the only other male in the yard that it sees...itself!
      So this could go on for years, but only throughout mating season, thank the Lord!
      ~God bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  5. How strange,
    I have never experienced this with robins, our robins look slightly different to yours. I know that they are territorial and yet this year I have seen three robins together in my garden which is very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,
      In all the years here I have never seen this before, but I am told it is not uncommon. I love the birds...but I didn't know they could be so stupid....I had a pet cockateil that was very bright, and he would even play pranks on our dog and on some people...mostly one sister in law who he would steal her jewelry. He would also feed the dog all his green bits of food since he did not like them himself. There must be plenty of worms in your garden (which is good for the soil). The robins will also pick off bugs from your plants as well.

      Delete
  6. That robin may be bringing news of spring.. Usually when we see the robins, it's not to far away but I've never had one to do that before.. Hope it warms up for you really soon.. Blessings for a nice day..Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie,

      I feel sorry for the poor robins; since they have come back they've had to endure snow and freezing temps. I am told that the robin is likely a male who is defending his territory against what he percieves to be another male robin (his reflection), and I am told this can happen every year for years for some folks! He is still at it today even through rain and storm...one feirce little bird!

      Delete
  7. You may need to put something in the window to defuse the reflection...he thinks his reflection is a bird in his territory. He is not hurting himself but this may go on for a few weeks. I see it as a lesson in perseverance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dee,
    You are right. Closing the blinds has not worked, so we will have to try placing something on the outside perhaps. I am going to the store tonight and will be getting some stickers for window panes. The little fella is still at it even as I write this...and the white stuff outside our windows and door is not snow, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol!!
    He is determined to come in. I'm sure he believes that your home is the best place to build the nest. :)

    I have birds that do this too and my kids have made pictures of eagles and posted them to the windows as a deterrent. It sure does work and with your artistic skills I am sure you can do something beautiful. :)

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a good idea! A picture of an eagle should be scarier than me and the dogs standing at the windows, LOL! I will try it. Thanks
      ~God bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  10. Lisa, so very nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

    I watched your video. My what a silly bird. He is beautiful though. I hope he finds his song and moves on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. R.,

      He is silly alright, I hope he moves on soon too!
      ~God bless~

      Delete
  11. Just came into my mind Lisa (ha ha),
    go out and buy a toy robin and put it on your windowsill. Your little window pecker may think he is in another robin's territory then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be interesting Brenda, I wonder if he would end up fighting ttil the death with it? (haha)

      Actually the little guy is being silent for now...either worn out or the reflection finally won the territory...poor females, there may be no robin eggs in their nests this year :(

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate