Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hast thou entered into the The treasures of the snow?



Winter: A Dirge
 gif
Robert Burns (1781)
clr gif

The wintry west extends his blast,
And hail and rain does blaw;
Or the stormy north sends driving forth
The blinding sleet and snaw:
While, tumbling brown, the burn comes down,
And roars frae bank to brae;
And bird and beast in covert rest,
And pass the heartless day.

"The sweeping blast, the sky o’ercast,"
The joyless winter day
Let others fear, to me more dear
Than all the pride of May:
The tempest’s howl, it soothes my soul,
My griefs it seems to join;
The leafless trees my fancy please,
Their fate resembles mine!

Thou Power Supreme, whose mighty scheme
These woes of mine fulfil,
Here firm I rest; they must be best,
Because they are Thy will!
Then all I want—O do Thou grant
This one request of mine!—
Since to enjoy Thou dost deny,
Assist me to resign.

.It is exactly as the above poem says in the ending...Since winter is God's will, it must be best, so I am resigned to really appreciate the season! Well, that may be a somewhat loose translation of Robert Burn's poem.
 And there is much to appreciate in the forest where we live...I think I truly have a love/hate relationship with winter. I wish it was always as pretty as it is when the snow first falls and everything is covered with that fresh white blanket.





 
Yes, I think I will put on some layers and go for a winter hike, breath in the crisp clean air, and take some time to really appreciate this great white north country that we call home. See you when I get back!
 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? Job 38:22,23

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Lisa; I wish they would encourage me to love winter a bit more-ha! I for one can't wait for all of it to melt, and see some green again! :) Aw, but I do appreciate the change of the seasons, and even though I am anxious for this one to pass, I thank God for every season of change!

    Blessings and love friend for a joyful week!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    I guess change is inevitable, and our trying to resist it is in vain...Ah well, might as well try to enjoy whatever each day brings our way!
    This too shall pass...In Michigan our winter has been weird the last couple of years...Warm one week, frigid the next...the snow comes, and then is washed away by heavy freezing rains. We can see grass still in many places.
    I actually like the consistant snow covering, and 'normal' temps in the twenties/thirties for this time of year...TOO much change all at once!
    ~God bless you, my dear friend~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa ~ I agree with Denise. Beautiful pictures! The scripture from Job fits beautifully. And the poem...well...I have come to love poems! Would like to see...in person...where you live. The pictures you take are so beautiful no matter what season it is.

    Sorry I haven't been around mush lately. It seems that things have been heavy a lot but I feel as if a new day has begun!

    Love you friend. God Bless...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures... You are having more of the white stuff than we are.. Winter is a beautiful season.. I love the poem.. Take care, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you write! And you blog is beautiful now! Here the snow is gone :-( But God is in every season. Also in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chelle,
    I know you've had a lot to deal with lately, so don't need to apologize. God's mercies are new every morning!
    Things are changing pretty rapidly where I live, it's not as pretty as it was just a couple of years ago.
    The recession has forced the state to sell off much of the standing timber...and many people are selling off the trees on their own properties now too. Most of the pictures are of our own yard now...as we don't/can't hike in the adjacent state lands any longer.
    So I am missing the thick forest that was adjacent to us. Thankfully there is a small cedar swamp that is protected butting up to our land. I am thankful for the forests, especially the more I see them disappearing!
    And I am thankful for friends like you, who help make my world even better! Love you too, my friend!~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susie,
    Yes, we are (at the moment) getting a good amount of snow. This is good since our Great Lakes have been getting lower and lower...ships have been having problems in the ports.
    The Great Lakes are the largest fresh water source on earth...so we need all the snow we can get in order to keep them full!
    ~God bless~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jedidja,

    Thank you for the kind words :)
    We got a lot more snow since I posted this! My husband has been out there working almost around the clock (he came home for a 3 hour nap last night before heading back out to plow roads!)
    We are supposed to get rain and warm temps tomorrow...so I wonder how much of the snow will remain?

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate