My Cancer Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Stocking up, or taking stock?

As Christians we hear only one voice...that of our Master, the Lord Jesus Christ...

undefined

The Good Shepherd and His Sheep

10 “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them.
7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

So, what shall we do when all the world is running about in a panic, and emptying the shelves and gun racks of our local stores?
 (this was on the news last night, guns and ammunition are selling fast in my area)

Well, I live in an area where a group known as the 'Michigan Militia' are stationed at their headquarters...I have even had my own run ins with them while I was doing code enforcement a few years ago...I was advised by my lawyer to back off from the case after recieving a threatening letter from them...apparently there are officials, even judges that fear these guys (and gals). I respect their rights, but I am concerned about their tactics, especially now.
Our governor was actually prepared to sign a bill as soon as it reached his desk that would allow a person to carry a registered handgun in places where they were formerly prohibited...places like schools, sports events, and even churches...and then the Sandy Hook elementary shooting happened...Now the governor has reconsideered signing the bill.
I am relieved to know that people will not be 'packin' at churches and schools etc...I do support the right to bear arms, but I believe that there is too much of a tendency towards  panic driven violence or an act of passion,  in places where people gather in mass, such as sporting events...
I have been witness to fights breaking out in those types of forums, and even witnessed the aftermath where one angry young teenager murdered another at our local school.
A couple years ago, a man shot and killed his wife and mother in law and one other person right on the steps of a courthouse nearby; and then just last year a woman was shot  by her husband while sitting in her parked vehicle in front of the local newspaper where she worked.
I do not believe that carrying a gun would have helped any of these victims...arming the masses in crowded public arenas can not be the solution!

So, am I going to stock up this week? Yes, I always do. I live far from the store, so it is necessary. Am I going to divert from my normal shopping routine? You bet I am! I am NOT going to shop until Saturday however, since I do not wish to be trampled underfoot. I am a bit concerned whether there will be anything left considering the regular Christmas shoppers, and of course the last minute 'preppers' who are suddenly going to decide to hoarde some supplies, in case they live through the coming 'End of Days'! I am also concerned for my daughter who works in a local grocery store as she is scheduled to work Friday night. Oh yes, I almost forgot, there is also a winter storm on it's way according to the news forecast! (This event alone can empty shelves around here!)
I am also taking stock of what is important in life. I awoke this morning, and as usual I say something to God upon waking...This morning I said your heart must be breaking for all the world is listening to another voice...even some of your own! I decided to spend this day with my Lord, I want to talk to Him, I want to really listen to Him...I feel compassion for our dear Heavenly Father, and for His loving Son who gave us LIFE, who wants us to have JOY, and PEACE, and above all...LOVE!
Is it the end of the world? I don't believe so...not according to scripture! However, any day could be the end of your time here on this earth....so before you run out to buy that AK47 at your local Sporting Goods Center....
Keep this in mind:



Living for God

4 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. 2 As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.



Suffering for Being a Christian

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And,
“If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”[a]

19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
 
1 Peter 4 (Emphasis mine)




                                                        ~God Bless Us Everyone~

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Lisa, My heart grieves over all the evil going on in our world. You are right. Guns are not the answer. The only answer lies in hearts transformed by Jesus Christ. How I pray for His Peace in the world this Christmas week. Blessings to you and your family.

Never Forsaken said...

That's a good prayer Peggy...I pray people will turn to the Lord, and find peace and joy in their communities and in their homes this year...we can only pray, and believe!
~God Bless you and yours also~

Ken said...

Hi Lisa,
It is so sad and heart breaking to see what happened at the school. I wonder what would cause someone to do something like that. But I believe the scripture above gives the reason, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;" But praise God, Jesus has come to give life. We must hang onto the hope which in in Christ Jesus.

I pray that you and your family have a Merry Christmas and may God bless you,
Kne

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Ken,
The best attempt at an explaination I have heard so far, is that Satan hates the purity in praise that only children can give...also, by killing the innocent children, the faith of many was weakened, and some of those lacking in faith might only become more bitter...We know though, that that was thwarted because those children are with the Savior, the teachers who gave their lives showed the best side of the human spirit, and many have felt they needed to draw closer to God...also, one of the families said that their hearts and prayers went out to the shooter's family...they said they could not imagine what they were going through...That is God at work, my friend...
Praying for the best Christmas to you and your wife as well!
~God Bless~ Lisa

Brenda said...

We who are in Christ can only pray for those who are in the world, that they come to know Jesus. The world is in the grip of Satan but there is only one winner. When light comes darkness must recede. I have a peace over the little children because I have had a 'death experience' and believe that where I was, that is where these little ones are and their teachers. It is the sadness of the parents and the relatives that is heartbreaking and I know that it is only the Lord who can bring them any kind of comfort.
God bless you and have a lovely Christmas.

Just Be Real said...

We are broken people living in a broken world....

Merry Christmas.

So do not fear,  for I am with you;      do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen  you and help  you;      I will uphold ...