Monday, December 17, 2012

AWAY IN A MANGER

The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”  “Hosanna in the highest heaven!” (Matthew 21:9)
Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:13,14)


   
Last week our oldest daughter had gallbladder surgery, so we traveled a couple hundred miles to be with her. It was the first time we had seen our three granddaughters in over a year!
When our daughter went into surgery, the nurse handed me her personal items, and I placed them into my bag. We waited for about five hours until we could take her home. We had a nice visit with her and the kids, and then travelled back home late that night.
The next morning my daughter called me to ask if I knew where her wallet was. Of course, it was still in my bag!
My first thought was to place all pertinent things from her wallet into an envelope, write her a check for the cash (her rent money due that next day)…and mail it to her; but when I put the flag up on the mailbox and returned inside, I felt sick to my stomach…what if it got lost? It had the kids medical cards, my daughters work debit card (how she gets paid), and everything else in there!
Jeff called on his break shortly afterwards, and suggested another trip to take everything back. I told him to hang on a moment while I ran outside (in my bathrobe, and towel on my hair as I had just got out of the shower)…Thankfully it was still out there in the mailbox.
So, I called my daughter and we arranged another trip, only this time we went on Saturday and was able to attend our little granddaughters’ very first Christmas pageant at church!
This was such a blessing…especially in the wake of the horrific shooting in Connecticut just the day before…My heart is still breaking. Our nation is in mourning over the senseless loss of these precious lives, both the children and the adults who tried to hide and protect them…I don’t think there has been another event since 9 11, that has had this much of a  heart wrenching effect on our nation.
So it was precious, more precious than ever before to hear the children singing 'Hosanna to the Lord' Saturday eveningthey really sang loudly and clearly too…just like I imagine the children sang so long ago in Jerusalem!

I went to church Sunday…didn’t really feel like it as I was so tired from the trip the day before…I am glad I went,  although it was hard to quell the tears as I listened to another group of little children singing ‘Away in a manger’…especially the last verse…I let the tears flow then, and I was not the only one….

Away in a manger,
No crib for His bed
The little Lord Jesus
Laid down His sweet head
The stars in the bright sky
Looked down where He lay
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay


The cattle are lowing
The poor Baby wakes
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes
I love Thee, Lord Jesus
Look down from the sky
And stay by my side,
'Til morning is nigh.


Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray


Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there


later last evening after Jeff and I listened to the President address the town of Newtown, along with a group of local clergy… I told Jeff about why I cried at church that morning.
 And then this afternoon on my way to the grocery store, I turned on the radio station and (it was unbelievable) exactly in time to hear that last stanza of  ‘Away in a manger’ I cried until I arrived in the parking lot of the grocery store.
Children Are Examples Of Humble Faith In Jesus
And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matthew 18:2-6)  “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.
(Matthew 18:10)



So today, wherever you are, if you get an opportunity...hug a child close, or just give a kid a word of encouragement...and let us all humble ourselves like a little child whenever we think about our relationship with Jesus...and our faith...Sing a chorus of 'Hosanna' as if you were singing it to the Lord Himself...because you are!



May you all have a safe and joyful Christmas!

~God Bless~ & Always remember, we are...

Never Forsaken


16 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    This is so sweet, and a beautiful tribute to the devastation we all feel about the tragedy last week; I haven't been able to quit crying! What a blessing (disguised!) that you took off with your daughter's wallet...ha! The joy and love it brought to you all was a special gift at a very needed time.

    Blessings and love sweet friend for a very Merry Christmas!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said it must have been the Lord's will that I forgot about her wallet and I agree...I was really missing them, and this gave me just what was needed. I keep crying too, even though I know the children are with Jesus...I just think it is so sad for so many.

      Delete
  2. There were so many beautiful little testimonies to read within this post. Thank you for sharing them.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hon,

      I am so glad you enjoyed this...I am enjoying your posts as well! God Bless

      Delete
  3. Everything turned out as his plan. You always have such an inspiring post.Thank you and Merry Christmas from my home to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie,

      I enjoy your poetry as well.
      God can be trusted with every little detail in our lives, if nothing else, that is what I am learning each day!

      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  4. What a dear momma you are! Two trips for your daughter!! How nice for you to see your grand~daughters! And to be at the Christmas Pageant, ... aren't children's performances something so special?

    The heartbreak of the CT school shooting, just devasting. I was glad to hear the heart of our President's as he addressed their community and to the rest of the nation.

    Just thought I'd add before I end this comment that one of my favorite Christmas carols is O' Come O' Come Immanuel.

    Merry Christmas season to you!!! and thanks for the words of encouragement at my blog, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna,

      That's we moms do...I count it an honor whenever I can do something for one of my children! I think we always wish we could do more though :)
      I love that carol too...'Oh Holy Night' is my very favorite though.

      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    How nice you were able to go and help your daughter out and spend time with the grandchildren. Then to see the pageant and return the wallet, you are a dear heart!

    That shooting shook tons of people up all over the world. It breaks my heart to know this sort of thing happens and seems to be increasing in frequency. Evil is really bubbling up all over.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Child of God,

      God was so good to make me so forgetful, LOL!
      It was such a needed blessing...
      I think all this increase in evil is a call for believers to be more loving towards others...Only God can help us to be so.
      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  6. Hi Lisa : ) What a beautiful post. I've been praying too. So much bad news in the USA this year. The last stanza of Away in a Manger is perfect. So glad you got to be with your grandkids : ) God bless my friend! You are such a blessing to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      I think that with so much bad news, it makes us appreciate the good news even more...Jesus is that ultimate good news!
      You are a blessings also my friend~ God Bless~

      Delete
  7. Hi Lisa,
    sometimes things are not arranged according to our plans, it was lovely that you were able to be at the church with your little granddaughter, emphasising just how precious these little children are. I believe more tears than we could imagine were shed for those little children and their brave teachers on that tragic day, ours included. The only comfort I have is that I have had a death experience and I believe they are where I was. This however is no comfort for those who are grieving, only Jesus can be that.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,
      That comfort is the kind only Jesus can give...I did not have an experience like yours (that sounds like quite a testimony), but I did have an experience with something from the dark side that cemented my faith forever...Satan attempted to scare me, but it only intensified my belief in Jesus all the more! I fully know that those souls are with Jesus singing Hosanna in the rhealms of Heaven right now!
      God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  8. A beautiful post, Lisa. You are right. we need to hug our grandchildren a little tighter this Christmas. I'm glad you got to see your granddaughters twice. I'm praying for a blessed Christmas for your family.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy,

      I got enough hugs in the last week to last me a while! I'm looking forward to Christmas with our youngest and her husband. I pray you will have an enjoyable (and relaxing) Christmas too!
      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate