My Cancer Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Invitation

I remember one time when I was a teenager, I received an invitation to a neighborhood girl's 'Mary Kay' party. I was new to the neighborhood as I had just moved in with my sister. It was a nice neighborhood with beautiful homes. I had come from a broken home in a rural trailer park to live with my sister and her husband and two young children.

I was thrilled to be invited to this party, as the girl was very popular and only her friends were invited, I thought she considered me a friend also...Well, back then I was going through one of the most difficult times in my life and it really showed..on my face, in the form of zits..lots of them!
I walked to the girl's home and felt the goosebumps rising as I was ushered into the foyer..this home was truly magnificent, beautifully decorated and huge! I made my way into the formal dining room and sat down at the large table laden with various bottles and trays, bowls and sponges, all the elements necessary to turn a awkward teen into a beautiful supermodel!
The  Mary Kay representative showed us the method for closing facial pores, and spoke about the different foundations available for every skin type..great I was learning something new; but just when I thought I had arrived to a party in Heaven itself, the representative singled me out...She asked if there was some stress in my life causing my face to break out so badly? What could I say, I was surrounded in that beautiful home by other teen aged girls who lived in similar homes, who had moms and dads and healthy families...I certainly was not going to pour out my sad story, it really was none of their business anyway, I was not there to talk about my problems..I just wanted to make new friends  and maybe buy some make up for goodness sakes! 
Then she stepped closer and pointed out the fact that I had blackheads and large pores..oh dear, I felt my face turning red as sweat began to drench my entire body; 

I can still remember the torment of taking that 'walk of shame' back to my sister's house...replaying the whole scene  in my mind of the other girls leaning in closer to one another and behind veiled hands, trying to hide their snickers. To this day I will never understand how any adult could be so callous to a child. I had already been through so much in my young life. She had no idea.

I am happy to report that my complextion has cleared, although I still use 'Mary Kay' products (for wrinkles now); and as an adult I have recieved many invitations to parties and other events,  however, even though I may still get those familiar goosebumps of excitement there is still that shadow looming. What if when I get there, I say or do something stupid? What if...
There is one invitation that I received twenty seven years ago. This invitation had my name lovingly written on it, it also had a couple of other names written there, pretty high profile names too! This invitation was to the most exquisite mansion, in the very best neighborhood ever! This invitation promised a feast and the finest wine and music, and with a massive choir singing throughout. Best of all, this invitation was for a party that never ends! The invitation is a standing invitation, sent by the Creator Himself, given in  honor of His Son Jesus Christ, (told you they were high profile names) It was sealed with His royal stamp. When I opened it, I immediately RSVP'd. Here is what it read:




 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb  is come, and his wife [ the Body of Christ] hath made herself ready.  
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.   And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. (Rev.19:7-9)

  "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

 "All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out."

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you." (John 14:2)

 "I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." (John 14:2,3)

I hope to see you there on that day!
~God Bless~
Lisa



8 comments:

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

What a beautiful post : ) I love this. Thanks for sharing. I always seemed to be the misfit when I was young too. Coming from a broken home was very difficult. Jesus doesn't see us that way. I'm so glad. He sees us as His daughters and a banquet is waiting : ) Thanks! God bless!

Never Forsaken said...

Yes, God sees the real person. We would have made great friends when we were kids! (we are sisters in Christ now though) LOL
~God Bless~

Child of God said...

Some people are like bulls in a china shop; no sensitivity at all. What an experience this must have been for your dear child's heart. I'm glad you made it through. :) I was a tall, skinny kid and was teased about it. When all the girls were developing, I was not. I was flat as a board and many times I was called a guy, very hard on a 14 year old.

Thanks for sharing Lisa.
Blessings,
<><

Susie Swanson said...

(Tears), this is Beautiful and heartfelt..Sounds like some I know..God Bless You , you are an inspiration to us all..About the Mary Kay, I use Avon for wrinkles but I bet it's so much better..I need to give it a try..I know someone that sells it..Hugs, Susie

Jane said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Lisa, but I'm sure that the experience made you stronger and as you said, there is only one invitation that really matters. I went through a miserable time in my teens too because I missed a year of school when I became deaf. When I returned all my friends had moved on to others. It was like being the new kid but without all the curiosity that comes with it. For that reason I am very wary of new acquaintances and treasure true friends (which I can count on one hand). Corrie Ten Boom said she is grateful for her sufferings because it brought her nearer to God. How He must feel now when people reject Him. I think of that often.

Peggy said...

Lisa, I could read this post just fine. My heart breaks for that teenage girl and rejoices for the invitation to the best party of all where no one ever gets embarrased or shamed- eternal life with Jesus!

Denise said...

How sad that people can be so insensitive; it can be completely distructuve! I can relate well, having had a weight problem when I was younger and being teased and critisized. I love how you brought this all together to remind us of the one and only important invitation! :)

Blessings and love Lisa!
Denise

Reformed rebel said...

Hi Lisa ~ I can relate to this. I never really fit in myself. The good part is that no matter how different we are GOD loves each of us and HIS invitation is the important one!
Blessings...Chelle

Happy? But..I have cancer!

    Are you happy?           Before you jump to an answer for this age-old question..let me ask something else first: Are you angr...