My Cancer Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Achieved My Goal!


*Note: I lost my earlier post! I am sitting here annoyed and disgusted, because when I clicked on one of the images from the website I  always use for free Christian images, it showed some ad for some scantily-clad women in my area! So not only did one of the images ( a free wallpaper) take away my entire post when I removed the image, but I was confronted with worldly smut!

I guess I just need to use my own stuff, as unprofessional as my photos are, I will just try to dress them up a bit for you I guess. Adding scripture to them always makes them better.

So here is my second attempt at this blog post today: Without all the pretty pictures...

Not too long ago I prayed for the Lord to deliver me from the severe anxiety with panic attacks. In recent years I have attended a few different churches, and before long, when my symptoms became very severe, I would just quit going before anyone really got a chance to know me, so I was never missed.
Well, after I prayed for deliverance I decided I needed to set a goal for myself. I knew that if I were able to attend the church where my family and I were members for several years, it would not be possible for me to just sneak in there and then leave without detection. I guess you could say that what I needed to accomplish this task, was some accountability!
So two weeks ago I started attending the church again for the first time in over ten years. It was not easy, but with the Lord's help, I have been able to get through the panic which assaults me every time I leave the house.
My biggest test came today. I was invited to attend the ladies' Bible study, the study that I used to be a part of for many years, which I even filled in for the teacher once in awhile.
So, last night I was feeling quite anxious about this. I stayed up late reading the Bible for wisdom and guidance to give me some strength. I knew I would try to talk myself out of attending the Bible study.

 The Lord led me to read 1 Theselonians 5: 12-13 and 16-18.
I wrote my notes and marked the passages in my Bible and went to bed.

Early this morning I awoke to a storm. I went back to sleep with the idea that I was not going anywhere today. I awoke later and even though the storms had abated, I could not seem to rouse myself enough to get motivated. I got dressed and hastly tied my hair into a sloppy ponytail, and drank two strong cups of coffee. Even at 9 O'clock, my brain just didn't want to wake up.

Too lazy to retrieve my Bible from the kitchen table, I turned my attention onto the notebook lying on the end table next to me, and I read what I had written in there last night before bed:

12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

I had missed the Bible study last week, so I had promised Flo, the teacher, that I would be there this week. I knew that out of respect for Flo, (who is a wonderful elderly lady who has been with the church since it's beginning) I had an obligation to be there if at all possible. So I went.

Of course once I was seated, Flo handed me the study notes from the previous weeks, and wouldn't you know it...1 Thes. 5:17 and 18 was the focus of the study...Praying without ceasing, and being in the will of God!

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


I even had a question answered that I had been wrestling with for three months now! Despite all my own reading and studying, God did not reveal the answer until I stepped out in faith and obedience!
I was amazed at how clear and simple the answer was too. It was about forgiveness, which I found out is to be the subject of the next study.
I was a bit worried about telling the ladies (many whom I've known for years), about the anxiety keeping me housebound for over a year now, but when I told them, they were only upset that I had not reached out to them so they could have prayed for me...I told them that I had been blessed with the opportunity to meet many loving Christians from all over the world, so God did not leave me disconnected from sisters and brothers in Christ. I told them I was sitting there now because of the prayers of my blogging friends!
I thank God for you all, and I said a special prayer for blessings on each one of you this morning.

Numbers 6:24-26:
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.


18 comments:

Reformed rebel said...

Wow Lisa...I love it! Isn't the Lord good?! The way He led you to those scriptures...Amen! Then that lying little devil that tried with all of his might to keep you anxious and home bound again today. But, you stepped out, trusting in the one who always makes a way for us when there seems like there is no way! Isn't the Lord Jesus awesome?!!! I am proud of you and rejoicing with you!!

Blessings to you today my sister. Keep up the faith and stay strong! Chelle

Never Forsaken said...

Yes, Chelle...The Lord is very good!
Thanks for rejoicing with me. It is so awesome how the Lord gives us so many things to rejoice about.
One of the nice things about getting out more, is how much I am relearning to utilize my time again. I am actually appreciating the 'down time' when I have a day to stay home and relax, even if it's only a few hours.
~God Bless You~ Lisa

Jane said...

That's wonderful Lisa! 1 Thes. 5: 17-18 is just the words I needed to read today. I've been thinking about ways to worship today. And thank you for the blessings!

Just Be Real said...

Thank you for sharing this. Also for your encouraging words to me of recent. Blessings.

Child of God said...

Praise GOD!! Thanks for sharing this Lisa!! Only Satan wants to keep you in chains. God has wonderful things in store for you and it starts with freedom. :)

Blessings,
<><

Denise said...

How wonderfully awesome Lisa! It's so hard to step out of our comfort zone sometimes; the anxiety and stress can make us sick! (Oh, how I can relate!) What a blessing that you were right where you needed to be, hearing the exact words God wanted you to hear! :)

Praying that you continue to fight the enemy and become more and more confident in stepping out to embrace what God has planned for you! :)

Blessings and love,
Denise

my little cottage said...

hi friend how are you ?

im visiting all my blog friends to notify im at wordpress i had to setting up for 3 times a blog and the cliches keep coming...so right now im at wordpress

its better...for me...i havent forgot about you this post is for everyone...this is my new link

http://thelifeofachristianlady.wordpress.com/

you only have to link it at people you follow and automatically my posts will show up with your other friends

so you can read and comment if you wish without to open a account on wordpress...hope you understood...thank you if you do...

will love to hear from you.
.God bless you

soraya

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Jane,
I visited a blog yesterday (can't remember which one), and 1Thes.5, was the first thing written! It looks like God wants us all to rejoice, pray, and be thankful always! It is sooo cool how He is working on us. I think this means He does not want us to be worried about all the stuff happening around the world, we just need to pray and be thankful for what He wants to do in our lives.
I guess that is a good way to honor Him in worship!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi JBR,
It is an honor sharing what God is teaching me. As it is my honor to encourage you in your healing process. I am still praying for you.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi COG,

Your words are so encouraging to me this morning, like a cup of cool clear water!
Freedom is what God promises! ~Amen~
Thank you for this reminder.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Denise,
The Lord is showing me that the only comfort zone is in His presence! AWESOME!

Thank you for your loving prayers!!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Soraya,

Good to hear from you...I am well!
I love your new blog...I will have to update my link to it.~God Bless you~

Jedidja said...

I am very, very surprised to read that there are more Christian women, who worry with fear in the church :-) I'm also such a woman and now I go only to the afternoon service (we have two services).

Kind regards and I wish you the experience of God's embrace.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Jedidja,

It seems there may be an epidemic of some kind amongst our people? I am learning, you can overcome thiss fear with the Lord's help, but it still is not an easy battle. I am glad you are able to attend church in the afternoon. I will pray for you in this.
~God Bless~

Just Be Real said...

Dear one I came back again and re-read your post. I just want to continue to encourage you. I am so proud of your strength despite your fears. You have done great Lisa. Safe hugs to you.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Just Be Real,

This means so much to me! Thank you for your friendship and prayers :)

Safe & gentle hugs back, sweetie ~Lisa

Peggy said...

I'm so glad you went to that Bible Study. God does bless us when we are obedient to Him. I will be praying you will step out more often, sweet friend.

Never Forsaken said...

thank you Peggy for your prayers. :-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!