Thursday, September 8, 2011

Are You An Over-Achiever?



The perils of an overachiever
Mat.11:28
28-Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29-Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30-For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved" (Ps. 55:22).
6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.  (I Pet. 5:6-7).

Every spring we see weigh masters stopping trucks (usually loggers) to check the weight of the load that they are transporting. The trucker will receive a ticket if they exceed the limit.  The reason this intercession is necessary is to protect the integrity of the paved roads as the frost is lifting from the ground underneath, so this is the prime time  most damage occurs to the pavement.  Every trucker knows what the limits are, but there are still some who will push those limits in order to get the job done faster and make more money with less runs. I am also reminded of seeing  a small pickup loaded with timber sitting on the side of the road with the rear axle busted from the weight. 
Do you know what your capacity is? Jesus does, and he often makes intercession when He notices that we are about to exceed that capacity. That is why He invites us to cast our burdens upon Him and He gives us something else to carry, His yoke. What is a yoke?
Can you imagine if only one of these oxen were wearing this?
How would that work? It would be quite difficult for the animal. and the load would be unbalanced .




When Jesus asks us to take His yoke upon us, He is right there next to us to help carry the load. We are also told to humble ourselves under His mighty hand and in due time He will lift us up, and then we are reminded once more to cast our cares upon Him.

Sometimes we think we can carry and control
everything all by ourselves, trusting in our own strength instead of His.
Might seem like a good idea at the time , but...
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:9-10)

Unless our Master intervenes...
We won't get very far on our own





So just let go and let God
(not as simple as it sounds)

Maybe pride gets
in the way?

If we trust in Him, he will lighten our load
we will be able to run and not grow weary.


The foundation of our hearts will not crumble under any  load if it is built with the rock of our salvation [ JESUS ]. He will not allow us to buckle under any burden too heavy, he will help us if we trust Him; ...after all....

                                He once carried our heaviest load !

10 comments:

Child of God said...

Hi Lisa,
His yoke is easy for when we give it to Him there is a huge stress release.

Love the pics of your dog she is beautiful.

Blessings,
<><

Never Forsaken said...

Thanks Child of God, you're very right about the stress relief, that's why I used the illustration of Buddy pulling on the stick (tree branch) and not letting go without a fight. I know I find myself doing this a lot with stuff I think I can handle that is clearly too big for me alone, that's why Jesus offers his yoke to help us lighten the load. I take pics randomly and it is neat to see how scripture verses I've studied either the day or two before always seem to come to the surface when I review them on the computer the next day or so. Sometimes like at the breakfast table the other day though, something the dogs do will just remind me of a certain scripture too. It's fun, but I hope God will use it also:)

Anita Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita Harris said...

His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I thank Jesus for pulling me over every now and then to check my load and adjust joke. He is the ONLY one qualified to judge the weight of the matters that concern me.
GREAT post my friend!

Blessings!
Anita

Peggy said...

I love the thought about being linked to Jesus and letting Him carry the load. thanks for the reminder.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Anita,
Thankfully Jesus is the only qualified judge and he is always checking on us. I can't imagine going it alone anymore, even when you have your spouse or others helping, we still need the Lord to balance the weight & lighten our load.

Hi Peggy, it's so nice to meet you! I think we all need little reminders of these things, that's what is so great about blogging to help encourage one another as we learn along the way.

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful post Lisa. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

Never Forsaken said...

Hi JBR, It's nice to meet you! I'm glad you liked this:)
~Peace and Blessings in Jesus~

T.O. Geezer aka ~Ron said...

Amen! An Excellent post!

God bless and have a great week :-)

~Ron

Never Forsaken said...

Thanks & you too Ron!
~Blessings~

So do not fear,  for I am with you;      do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen  you and help  you;      I will uphold ...