Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Barely Hanging On?


Ever feel like this?

http://web4.audubon.org/bird/ivory/pileated.php

This guy has quite literally been hanging out at our feeder daily this summer.
You can't help but giggle a little as you watch him hanging in the most precarious ways from the suet.  Pileated woodpeckers feed on dead trees and insects amongst other things, something we have an ample supply of here in the forest, yet he seems to prefer the suet as a supplement to his daily diet. It got me thinking, how hungry for the Word of God am I? Seriously, what would I be willing to do to get my daily fill of it? Would I seek it out and when found, cling tenaciously to it even if it meant people might laugh at how silly they think I am? Would I be like our friend whom we've aptly nick-named Woody,  and throwing caution to the wind just hang on with all my might and receive all the nourishment that God has for me.
The world has provided all sorts of stuff for our hearts and minds to feed on, very few things are spiritually healthy for us though.  The Word of God is called spiritual food. Jesus is refered to as the Bread Of Life and living water. John 6:35
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:34-36 (in Context) John 6 (Whole Chapter)
  

 He is the Living Word...

John 1 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14  14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

 The Bible is our source for this spiritual nourishment. I believe it should be the mission of every christian to provide a place to offer this nourishment to whomever may wander into our lives. It may be as simple as blogging to share the Word of God, or it may be taking the opportunity to actually tell someone today that God loves them, I don't  preach to people, I never liked being preached to, but a smile is a nice gesture to use to begin a dialog with someone whom the Holy Spirit leads you to.

Hang in there fellow Christians!,
We have peace in Jesus, & we are..
Never Forsaken

13 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post in so many ways. The picture, so relevant to the rest of your post, is delightful to see. And as our bodies need the nourishment of food for sustenance, our inner being needs the nourishment of God's word to sustain the soul. Wonderful post! I'm so glad I stopped to visit you today.

    Many blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Mattie, and thank you for leaving such a nice comment. It is so awesome to see this bird here everyday. We would only see the pair (male & female) very seldom, and they were so timid of us they always kept their distance. Lately we have had a couple of young deer eating acorns from our front yard & I may post pictures if I get a clear enough one soon.

    Peace In Jesus,
    & remember, we are...
    Never Forsaken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've felt like that woodpecker many times in my life. I'm so thankful to God for being my safety net.

    Have a great week :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ron,
    Yea, me too!

    Thanks for stopping by

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa -

    This is a rich piece for which I say a hearty thank you.

    In particular, I was struck by this that you expressed, "Seriously, what would I be willing to do to get my daily fill of it? Would I seek it out and when found, cling tenaciously to it even if it meant people might laugh at how silly they think I am?"

    I'm not sure if you read my recent piece titled, "HAPPY TO BE MET BY GOD," posted this past Sunday June 26th. It also stresses the need to be about the WORD of GOD.

    Thank you for visiting my blog today and leaving the comment. Interesting what you said about the lion obeying. Great point, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are heartily welcome Sandra.

    I did read your post recently, not before this post however. I must admit that post left me feeling convicted. (which is good). I can surely relate to the effects of how skipping a day of reading the WORD which is our spiritual food leaves my mind in a weakened state vulnerable to demonic attack as well as fleshly influences. I thank you for that post as it got me on my spiritual knees. Heb.4:12) For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart. OUCH-Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with God's Word : ) It's the only sanity in this crazy world isn't it? What an encouraging post. Thanks so much for sharing it. God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Karen,
    Yes God's Word is the center of everything- It was by His Word that everything came into being after all!.. (the crazier the world gets the more I love and trust in Jesus). I'm glad you found the post encouraging:)

    Peace In Jesus,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!!

    What a great reminder to fill our minds with things of God. His word, spiritual food for our mind, body and soul.

    I look forward to reading your blog.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Child of God,

    It seems that we are being reminded of the importance of God's power and sovereignty more and more as the last days are approaching; His Word is our connection and covering. I just heard Charles Stanley teach on this very subject ( the danger of straying from God's Word) on Family Life Radio yesterday.

    Peace in Jesus,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa,

    Somehow I missed this post. So glad I found it tonight. Reading the Word is such a blessing. I have found that when I don't for a time I really start feeling lost! It is essential to my daily life...like food!

    Thanks for the reminder to read often!!

    Blessings in Him...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chelle,

    Wow, you must have commented here while I was over at your blog looking up a scripture to comment on your post (Jumping in with both feet)!
    Life is funny sometimes..anyway, I found the scripture reference so I'll leave you a comment too...The theme is continuing throughout most blogs I've visited lately..getting closer to God and wanting more of His Holy Word in our everyday lives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great question, how hungry am I for God's Word.

    Blessings,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate