Saturday, June 18, 2011

On Aging Gracefully






Daily I mourn the loss of my youth. Like the soil of a thousand years’ erosion revealing the jewel beneath, it falls from my frame and with it falls the scales from my blinded eyes allowing me to see clearly the essence of my soul. I accept it’s passing with a quiet dignity that comes with the knowledge that although I shall miss it, what I have left is even more precious now.
As we get older, our faces become paler, our bodies weaker, frailer. As we look down upon our weathered hands they somehow seem more tender and beautiful as we realize they are oft folded in prayer, or holding gently the hand of a loved one.
Yes I shed a tear and sighed away the remnants of despair, but deep inside I felt the peace that only comes to us upon the wings of hope, a promise whispered into the heart. Be still and know that you are being formed into the image of God.
For it is the soul that takes on a certain beauty as we grow older when we walk closer to Him.

There is a Japanese term called ‘Wabi-Sabi’ it means to find beauty in the ordinary things, especially in the natural world, things like a gnarled tree branch, or an ancient fossil, or perhaps the fallen petals from a flower floating upon the surface of a puddle.
But I wonder, will we see this beauty as we gaze into our mirror, or will we only see that stranger there who sort of resembles us, but maybe looks a little more each day like our mother or grandmother?

8 comments:

  1. Hi...Love your posts!! They are all so good and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and words.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate the advice for me with my back. It is getting better.

    Can't wait to read what you write next.

    Have a blessed day...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is beautiful, uplifting, inspirational. And who doesn't dwell for a time on their own mortality? Deep inside, I know it is not the miles we travel that define our lives. It is the joy and happiness that we've gathered along the way that makes our life wonderful, and it is the sharing of those things that make all the difference.(smile)

    There is great beauty in our every day lives, so many things we overlook. The warm cup of coffee or tea, the scent of freshly-mowed grass or blooming lilac, the wagging tail of our four-legged companions who adore us - the list is endless!

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts about 'hands'. The hands, in so many ways, sculpt our lives - artistically, lovingly.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelle,
    I'm glad your back is better. Ironically the day after I commented to you, I went go-cart racing (at a putter-golf) with my daughter & her husband & although I thought I took it pretty easy I pulled something in my back and ended up pretty much incompacitated today. It brought to home the words I had written only the night before. funny how life goes sometimes! I hope you had a good weekend.

    Peace In Jesus,
    & remember, we are..
    Never Forsaken
    (Lisa)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right Mattie,
    It is the sharing of our joy and happiness, and sometimes even sorrow that makes our journey meaningful and our lives more richer and wonderful. I am so glad you enjoyed my poem because it was inspired by something on your blog, (the picture of the woman whose countenance is fading) Isn't it so amazing how people inspire one another. I think that is what is meant by the scripture " As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (prov.27:17) How dull we would be if it weren't for the people God brings along in our lives.

    Peace In Jesus,
    & remember, we are..
    Never Forsaken
    (Lisa)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i could tell you in words how much i love you and how much you mean to me. You have taught me to believe and trust in god and through him anything is possible. I still remember all the bible studies and projects we did as i was growing up and i am more appreciative now for them than i ever was. So thank you for teaching me the right way as this world is sick and tormented i will always have his beliefs leading me to the right path!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear daughter,
    I am so proud of you as I have told you. I want nothing but the best for you and God does too..it has been my privilege to have taught you these things. I want to remind you that you can always trust in God, although I may waiver and fail many times, He is always the same, steady and sure, strong and wise. You are blessed with an awesome earthly father, but your heavenly Father will always be there to guide and protect you better than me and dad ever could. Remember to just ask Him in Jesus' name; the Father will honor His Son who lives within us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi -

    You mentioned this on my blog today and our Lord led me here to read it.

    Glad I obeyed Him. This is a soft gentle comforting message.

    Thank you

    AND THANK YOU, DEAR LORD, FOR LEADING ME HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful too lioneagle; our great and ALL MIGHTY God supplies our every need. He is never too late or too early and He gives just the right measure to each who seek to know and trust Him! I was inspired by your post about beauty and aging as well as another's image posted on her blog that day!
    Glad this brought you joyl

    Peace & Blessings In Jesus to you dear lady of God!

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate