My Cancer Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Jesus...Our light in the storm


I love lighthouses.
In fact, this is the second post in a row with a photo of one.
I have even transferred this picture into a painting to hang on the wall in my Sims 2 game and packaged it up and shared it with other players... I have so much fun doing that!
(Combining two hobbies, photography and playing the Sims)

What is it about a lighthouse that seems to draw me?
I think its the way that Jesus is seen as a type of lighthouse to us, a promise of light through the darkness to guide us through the storm. During the daytime I'll look at these structures as they stand majestically out in the water, or close by the shore, and I feel a sense of awe...But, I have never seen one during a dark stormy night, not in real life anyway. It makes me think about how I think many people view Jesus. They have a sense of awe and a certain feeling of security knowing that he is out there somewhere standing watch over us ready to guide us with his Holy Spirit...just in case the waters get a bit too rough...But...
it isn't until we find ourselves deep into the storm in the black of night hanging on for dear life as the waves toss us in every direction, threatening to overturn our vessel at any minute...We are truly powerless to control any of it! It is then that we get to see his true light...get to feel his security, to witness his wonderful strength!
Even if the storm take us down...It is then that He will wrap his arms around us and hold us still...calming our spirit until he carries us safely through to the other side.
What if there were no storms in life or on earth?
There would be no need for a lighthouse...
There would be no wonderful witness to the way this earth and sea have always been magnificent and yes, dangerous if we are caught in the middle of it...But...
There would be no need of something bigger than us, something stronger than the natural world...something that can subdue the sea at will...No need for God's help.
How boring would that be?
 I am thankful for Jesus, the light of this world, my help in troubled waters, and the one who holds me through each storm...the hope of shelter and salvation, the rock I cling to, but I am also thankful for the storm, because of it I have seen his light in action, shining brighter because of the darkness...unmoved by the crashing waves!
I can know that no matter what, I will survive...and so will you.

 "I am the light of the world. The one following Me shall not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:1-5


~Blessings & Love~
and always remember.. no matter how big the storm or dark the night, we are...
~NEVER FORSAKEN~

 

15 comments:

Jane said...

You're becoming quite a writer. Lisa! Your post was wonderfully inspiring. It was during a storm in my life that I found Him.

Hugs
Jane

Reformed rebel said...

Jesus is our light...I find myself knowing that but in the middle of the storm....
Thanks for sharing this Lisa. Hugs and love to you friend...Chelle

Crown of Beauty said...

What a beautiful winter picture you have put on your background, Lisa! How beautiful the seasons are... there is always something to look forward to. And you know what, I love lighthouses too. I've always loved the symbolism of lighthouses - a light showing the way to land, much needed in stormy seas. And what you said is so true - what if there were no storms in our lives? We would never have any need for lighthouses... we would all be very spoiled people, unbearable to live with. The storms we go through help to keep us humble and dependent on God. Thank you for another beautiful post. Have a beautiful month ahead of you... Love, Lidia

Denise said...

I love you my dear friend

Never Forsaken said...

Awe, Thank you, Jane!
It seems as though I am on a trend in writing about the water lately, lol!
We are planning to stay overnight in a ship that is docked in Manistee next summer (Lord willing)..I think that might be why I've been writing about water so much.

Never Forsaken said...

Sometimes I wonder if it is necessary for the Lord to send a wave or two our way just in order to draw our attention back to Him...I sure do know that it works with me. Maybe if I pay attention when I see those waves, the storm won't be necessary? Hmm, makes me wonder.
((hugs)) Love you too!
Lisa

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Lidia, I wish it looked more like the background here in the real world...but it is just muddy and gray. I know that if it were sunny and pretty everyday I would surely be spoiled and take it for granted though!
Have a great month of new hope and plans for the future year to come!
((hugs)) love, Lisa

Never Forsaken said...

I love you too, Denise!

Jedidja said...

Thank you so much. I also love lighthouses. Do you love this small story? I readed it on Biblehub.



A friend told me that he was visiting a lighthouse lately, and said to the keeper: "Are you not afraid to live here? It is a dreadful place to be constantly in."
"No," replied the man. "I am not afraid. We never think of ourselves here."
"Never think of yourselves! How is that?"
The man said to him: "We know that we are perfectly safe, and only think of having our lamps burning brightly, and keeping the reflectors clear, that those in danger may be saved."

Christians are safe in a house built on a Rock, which cannot be moved by the wildest storm, and in a spirit of holy unselfishness they should let their light gleam across the dark waves of sin, that imperilled ones may be guided into the harbour of heaven.

(Homiletic Monthly.)

Never Forsaken said...

Love it!

Sharon said...

Beautiful imagery, beautiful words. I am also drawn to lighthouses. I have seen a poster with one that has to be in the middle of the North Sea or somewhere like that. It is a lonely, solitary lighthouse. Huge waves are crashing upon it. And barely visible in the doorway, is one very small lightkeeper. I think of that as being true in my own life. The Light keeps me safe from the crashing waves of life. And though I am surrounded by troubles, I am safe.

Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. It really touched me.

GOD BLESS!

Sateigdra L Knowles said...

This was very encouraging. Thank you for sharing this wonderful message. God bless you. :-)

Jedidja said...

How are you now????

David Brown said...

Encouraging words. Grace be with you.

David Brown said...

Encouraging words. Grace be with you.

Happy? But..I have cancer!

    Are you happy?           Before you jump to an answer for this age-old question..let me ask something else first: Are you angr...