Monday, February 2, 2015

Excessive Happiness




To control the severe hot flashes that I’ve been experiencing, my doctor put me on an anti-depressant. It worked wonderfully, and as a bonus it has also helped with my anxiety and depression.
I read the pamphlet the pharmacist included with the medicine yesterday and it said to call your doctor or 911 in the event you experience…
Excessive happiness.
Of course it listed many other things, some clearly dangerous, like seizures or problems breathing etc..
But, excessive happiness?
What does that even look like?
Does the person smile too much, or go around doing nice things for everyone around them?
Maybe you catch them stopping to smell too many flowers, or taking too many pictures of sunsets or puppies… Oh God forbid!
Better call 911!
“Hello… 911?”
“This is 911, what is your emergency?”
“Um, my wife won’t stop smiling and humming…She’s going around the house cheerfully vacuuming the carpets and playing fetch with the dog…and worst of all…She keeps hugging and kissing me, telling me how much she missed me everyday when I come home from work!”

I know that an excess of many things can be very bad…An excess of bees, spiders, and dog hair to vacuum every day… I’ve watched that show on TV where people hoard an excess of things in their homes resulting in an infestation of rodents and other very unpleasant consequences.
Of course eating an excess of sugary treats can result in rotten teeth or bad health.
Maybe if more people suffered from happiness, they would not feel the need to accumulate so much stuff, and they would be able to live in an uncluttered environment, and have less debt as a result too! Or maybe they would not feel the need to eat too much, or gamble, or….(fill in the blank)
I think excessive happiness might  help to eradicate (or cure) the problem of truly dangerous or unhealthy excessive behavior in this world…Or is too much happiness something we should beware of?
Maybe I need to watch more sad movies, or CNN more often.
Wait a minute, what medication is it again? Oh yeah, an ANTI-depressant… I nearly forgot.
Well, I had better end here…I need to go call my doctor because writing this post made me a little too happy today!
Your comments make me VERY happy…but don’t worry, I have ‘Old Yeller’  loaded into the DVD player…and if I get too many comments I have ‘The Yearling’ on standby….I’ll watch them both if necessary. Winking smile

To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness... Ecclesiastes 2:26

9 comments:

  1. This made me moderately happy. Not enough to call 911. Whew! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you didn't have to call 911 ...Oh oh...I feel another chuckle coming on!!

      Delete
  2. (smiling from the mountains) I was taking those same pills, but they had a different effect on me...I no longer felt anything. So now, I feel too much :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an adverse affect on a different one a couple years ago...It calmed me down, but then I would find myself getting angry easier...and at stupid things too.
      I would rather feel too much than nothing at all.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your humor! It's great!
    Glad you are doing well and happy!
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear,
    I think the world has gone crazy if 'excessive happiness' is considered a bad side effect. They would not be able to manage the amount of calls to 911 if the medication they had prescribed was the Holy Spirit would they?
    May God bless you with excessive happiness Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wit and humor have once again put a big smile on my face as I read your post. Excessive happiness... taking too many photos of sunsets, puppies, and flowers... well that describes me to a tee. I'm with you, dear Lisa. I am happy you're happy. And I am sure it is the joy of the Lord... sometimes we just need a little help from our "friends". Blessings... Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a true blessing and inspiration dear friend. I like your sense of humor as well. We might as well find some humor it doesn't do us any good to sit around and moppe (spelled wrong) that's what my mama would always say. It makes me happy that you're happy. Lots of hugs,Love and prayers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lisa! So good to reconnect with you. My blog has been so messed up, I've been missing a lot of posts. I see that even my profile has been deleted. How these things happen, I'll never understand. I'm in total agreement with you. One thing that would make me excessively happy is if winter would go away! Might get so happy, I'll have to borrow your copy of Old Yeller or if that doesn't make you sad enough Schindler's List will certainly do the trick. Thanks for the fun post! BTW, I am really happy that you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate