Tuesday, August 7, 2012

God's lesson on the wall

Buddy speckled with drywall dust
We finished the drywall in our hallway over the weekend, taking a break only for church on Sunday.
As I've mentioned in previous posts; our dog Buddy has to be in the middle of whatever I am doing..he is a true' mama's boy' that's what my husband calls him. I was worried about him getting dust in his eyes and tried to keep him away, to no avail!
At one point, I was sitting on the floor to sand a low area when he walked up and proceeded to try and lick the drywall dust from my face...his was just as covered.

For anyone out there who has experience with drywall, you know just how tedious this job can be. The sanding in particular.
So while I was sanding, the Lord was speaking to me, and I was listening...Here is what I learned from sanding drywall:

God is working on me. I am like this wall. There are places where there is damage and imperfection. The Lord is working on fixing those areas.

Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it." (Jeremiah 18:3-4)

 God closely inspects me, He surveys the damaged areas and then very gently applies a covering over these areas. It feels good.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. (psalm139:16)

The first layer of patching clay goes on very thick and covers some of the healthy and smooth areas surrounding the damaged ones. God uses a lot of clay first, and really packs it in there...this can feel sort of weird, but I know He is doing this for my good, and I must be still and trust Him. I can already feel the difference in my form, but I feel a bit strange, as theres all this extra clay on me...It's sorta heavy and uncomfortable.

 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: (1 Peter 4:12)

Before this clay dries, God continues to smooth out this first layer, applying pressure to insure an even finish, I am impatient for this pressure to stop.

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:7-11)

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. (1 Peter 4:13)

Once the new clay is packed over the damage and smoothed out evenly, I am left alone while the clay dries. Although I have a short rest, I realize that without the Father's hand working  on me, the  clay is soon becoming cold and hardened. I feel alone and it is rough.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;
Truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honor;
God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O People,
Pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.”

Psalm 62:1, 2, 8, 9

While the clay dried, I may have felt alone, but the Lord was always there close by to keep an eye on my progress. It was a relief as I felt His hand gently glide over the rough patches of clay...I thought He was going to leave me this way.
When I felt the first swipe of the course sandpaper over the clay, I thought I might just die!

For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
 (2 Cor. 4:16)

 But little by little as He sanded away the rough clay, the discomfort turned to joy as I realized with each steady strong swipe, I was getting smoother and smoother. Things were beginning to get better.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

As I watched the dust fall, I worried about how so much dust might make such a mess on everything and everyone around me, but the Father assured me that He had covered everything, and to quit worrying, He knew what He was doing, and had everything in control. He would wash away all the dust when the job was done.

 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
  A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Psalm 91:4-7


 I was growing weary, and just when I thought I was finished...smooth enough...God began to apply another coat to some smaller areas that I did not even know existed...I began to protest, but He only smiled and said, I want you to be perfect and whole, this will only take a little more time, you will see. This time, the Lord only applied a small amount of clay, it did not take long for it to dry.
The next phase of sanding required a much finer grade of sandpaper, and was not so unpleasant this time!

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.(2 Cor. 4:17-18) 



 The Master Creator worked diligently on every corner, leaving nothing untouched until I was smooth and even. You could not even tell where the cracks and holes had been!

 "Matt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." 

So, I am thinking, I am a work in progress, and just like that damaged hallway wall, it is going to be so worthwhile once the Lord is done working on me...I realize that I will never be a perfectly smooth, finished project, until I leave this earth and cross over into Heaven...But just the fact that God is starting this work on me now, shows how much He loves me, and how much he wants to use me.
And I am safe and secure in the Master's hands!

Next project is to paint the walls, and then lay the flooring...I wonder what else God will teach me?

12 comments:

  1. amen..its a nice and powerful illustration..God shows us in the little things of life that he is always there guiding us..removing this and placing that...i think as long we are alive..we never will stop learning ..untill the day jesus returns..thanks for sharing this...i love when people shares these kind of things...blessings friend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi My Diary (Soraya?) I am not so good with names :)

      Yes, I guess the Lord can teach us even through the mundane things we must do each day, even cleaning the toilet...but that is another post.
      ~God bless you my friend~ Lisa

      Delete
  2. Dear Lisa,

    That's huge that you have your heart and mind with God while you work!!! This is something I'm trying to do as well!!!

    God bless,
    Lon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lon,
      It's not easy. As my husband would tell you, all I wanna do is whine about it, and that's how I started this project, and most other tough jobs! Once I fixed my mind on the blessings from God, like having a home to fix up in the first place...I started to focus on Him, and my husband noticed I quit whining, and just worked harder!
      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  3. Now that is quite the lesson from dry walling! I too am interested in hearing what He is teaching you through painting and laying down the floor.

    Thanks for sharing,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Child of God,

      I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  4. How impressive that you are right there in the middle of this project helping your husband-ha! I am not showing this post to my husband; he may get some crazy ideas in his head! :)

    Wonderful post Lisa; we might feel that there are so many broken pieces and fragments of our lives that can’t be molded back together, but God knows what is heavy on our hearts, and cares very much about the things that cause us to be broken and hurting. God can keep us together, and if we allow Him, He will patch us back together again as something even better and more beautiful than before!

    Blessings and love to you!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! I am praying this is the last drywall project ever!
      It's been 19 yrs. of digging footings for additions, shingling the roof, building walls from studs, siding, electric, plumbing, etc...I draw the line at anything requiring climbing underneath the house though (spiders!)

      My chiropractor considers me a challenge every week.
      Glad you liked this.
      ~God bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  5. Guess there's lesson in everything. I think whenever I did any dry walling,I was just too miserable to notice. What a wonderful lesson I would have learned if I had been listening like you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,

      I think I had no choice but to stop complaining (whining), then when it was finally quiet...I heard! LOL
      I am praying for no more drywall projects...this was the second one in a year! Perhaps I'll post pictures of the finished bathroom and hallway.
      ~God Bless~ Lisa

      Delete
  6. Wow! You've really provided an excellent testimony on how God works in and through us with using the analogy of the drywall. No, it's not easy to have God place "packs of clay" on or in us where we need refining. I think for me, the hardest part is to trust that He (God) is not simply going to let the "clay" over take me, but continue to work with me through my rough spots. Such another great lesson.

    Now for the real drywall. I've never worked with it before, but after this little story, I can only imagine it's not a very pleasant job. Hopefully, this chore won't take you too long. Keep us posted on the finished project.

    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mara,
    i think that's the part that i struggle with the most as well. It sometimes feels like the Lord puts so much on us, and then just leaves...but he is really only allowing the process to develope in us,growing our faith. It sort of feels like a desert time in our walk sometimes, but that usually comes just before He does His greatest work in us!
    I'll keep you posted :)
    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...
Sorry, no robots allowed...you don't have thoughts.

Translate