My Cancer Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Have you checked your countenance lately?

countenance (n) - Bing Dictionary

coun·te·nance
[ kówntənənss ]
Audio player
  1. face or expression: somebody's face, or the expression on it
  2. composure: composure or self-control
  3. tolerate or approve something: to tolerate, accept, or give approval to something

A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
(Proverbs 15:13)



The joy of the LORD is your strength  (Nehemiah 8)




*(posted last night april 23)
Been going through some tough stuff lately and I've noticed ...it shows.
I won't get into what's been going on suffice to say we are all human, ergo..we suffer in this world.

No, I'm not talking about the kind of suffering that brings blessings (suffering for Jesus), I'm talking about just plain old suffering that every human saved or not must endure in this life. Although as a born again believer, we have access to a hope and a peace that the world can never give nor understand. We have a loving Savior who walks through the fires with us and holds us through the storms ~Amen!

So I've noticed my countenance has well...fallen. Funny, but as an aging woman I have come to just accept stuff falling LOL! But something made me look closer at my face in the mirror as of late; (scary, I know) and what I saw there was not the effects of gravity, but something more sinister and destructive...my joy was gone!..I barely recognized myself.


So, I said to myself..."Where is your light? Where is the life in you?"

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.(Matthew 5:16)

‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’(Acts 17:28)

I am once again reminded of an experiment I conducted many years ago; I decided I would smile the most genuine smile at everyone whom I encountered for an entire day, and see what would happen.  The result was I saw a lot of smiles, and even had a couple nice comments made ...even those who wore frowns seemed to change their countenance if only for a moment. 

 *(posted today, tuesday april 24):
Something un-ordinary happened today, Oh, I'm not surprised really, you see it has been my experience that whenever you decide to refreshen your walk with the Lord or even to kick it up a notch or two, stuff starts to happen.  So after posting yesterday for the first time in a couple of months...(about hope) and starting on this post as well, today my husband ended up being sent to the hospital after a routine doctor visit for a possible blood clot in his leg...everything is alright, but it was no coincidence that I ended up spending half of my day in waiting rooms where I was able to study...not scripture, but people.  I feel like the Lord put me in a classroom today.  I was glad to get home so I could continue this blog post.

I studied the countenance of each person I saw, and realized many wore their anger, sorrow, confidence, contentment, worry, pain, love, joy, disdain, weariness, etc.. clearly on their faces.  As I (discreetly) studied each one I found my own face beginning to mirror theirs!..Just like my last social experiment proved how a smile is contagious, so is any other expression, even if only briefly.

I sure must have made a lot of people frown recently, and here I thought everyone was just a bit grumpy, which made me even more depressed...we are all somehow affected by one another aren't we?

For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,  because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. Y ou became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.  And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. (1Thes.1:4-7)

So, more than ever I am learning the importance of letting my light shine and showing the joy and hope that is within me...showing them Jesus!

~So here I'm leaving you all with a smile to imitate~
 


 



and so do I!

~God Bless~
Lisa

4 comments:

Child of God said...

Hi Lisa,
Joy is a choice not just a feeling. Jesus was called a man of sorrow yet He choose to be joyful because His eyes were on God and the knowledge of what was awaiting Him in heaven.

We all have struggles and tough issues to go through and for me the best word picture is to look at a glass either half full or half empty. It is our perception of the situation that makes all the difference.

I am glad to hear your husband is ok. I will keep him and you in my prayers.

Blessings,
<><

Jane said...

Wonderful post, Lisa! Whenever I get the grumpies, I try to remember the joyful faces I see of people (particularly children) that smile so openly while they are living in dire conditions, such as war zones, disaster areas and third world countries. Glad to hear that your husband is ok. Modern medicine is certainly a miracle.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Jane,
That reminds me of when my mom was alive and had cancer, she said she would start feeling sorry for herself and then she would see little children at her oncologist appointments and would be so humbled by their strength.
Yes, I often say I wish times were more like the old days, but it would be tragic to not have advances in medicine, not to mention the ability to communicate with people from all over the world by the touch of a button!
~What a good God we have to give us so many blessings even amidst the turmoil of this world!
~God Bless~
Lisa

Never Forsaken said...

Hi COG,

You are right about joy being a choice, thank God we are not controlled by feelings. Of course we must catch ourselves when we begin to get caught up in them, forgetting for a season that we do have a choice, a choice to trust in the only one who knows what lies ahead and will never steer us wrong. Feelings are important, but we must master them, not the other way around.
Thanks for stopping by, and thank you for your prayers!
~God Bless~
Lisa

So do not fear,  for I am with you;      do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen  you and help  you;      I will uphold ...