My Cancer Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Child like faith

 
Today is our granddaughter, Ashley's 6th birthday!
This photo was taken last month in a little chapel in Indian Woods. Nobody told her to sit down and pray like that, all we said to the kids is that we are going into the chapel to pray. My daughter Ginny and I were looking at a prayer register and writing our names in it when we turned around and seen Ashley sitting there just praying like that. There was another small group of people in the tiny chapel too. I don't know how long she had been sitting there like that, but I immediately grabbed my camera, and got this shot of her. The first thing that came to my mind was this scripture:

Matthew 18:2-4

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

First let me tell you a little bit about this particular grandchild...
Ashley was conceived at a time of great chaos and difficulty in my daughter's life. It was with mixed emotions we received the news of our daughter's pregnancy. We were more than a little fearful and wondered how in the world our daughter would be able to handle a third child at a time like that. Without getting into all the deep and personal stuff that was happening in her life, I'll just suffice to say that it did not seem like very good news at that time. But underneath all the external stuff, we knew  through faith that God's timing is always perfect...well, the fullness of our understanding of this came shortly after Ashley's birth...She was such a pretty little thing, and we were really so excited to finally meet her...

But it was not long after Ashley's birth when our daughter found out that she had cervical cancer and would need to undergo a hysterectomy three months later.
The surgery was successful in removing the cancer cells, but as many people know, cervical cancer is one of those cancers that usually is not found until there are symptoms, and then it is often too late.
That is when we all realized, that little Ashley very possibly saved her Mama's life! You see, under the circumstances, our daughter would not have gotten a regular checkup unless it was for the pregnancy...and those cancer cells would have not been detected until she was symptomatic.
So, God's timing was absolutely perfect when it came to our little granddaughter's birth.

 It is so hard now to even think about the time when the news of her impending birth brought such fear (worry) into our minds...I just thank The Lord that he sent such a special little girl into our lives, and I think about how her life has taught us all a valuable lesson in trusting God, and leaning not unto our own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)

Now, I love all my granddaughters, even the one's who are my 'adopted' granddaughters...But, there is a special bond between Ashley and I. When I was going through chemo and lost all my hair, Ashley wanted to shave her head! Every time she visits, she is either on my lap or holding my hand wherever we go. While the rest of the family are outside playing, she and I are in the house coloring! You see, since I got sick last year, I started to do some of the things that I enjoyed doing as a child. I described myself as 'child-like.
 I even began to think about my Heavenly Father as more of a 'Daddy' to me. I often imagined myself curled up in his lap for comfort when I wasn't feeling well, and I believed...really believed that he would keep all his promises to me...to carry me, to give me more grace, to always be with me and never forsake me in my time of need, and he kept those promises!  I will never forget what it was like to have a child like faith in the one whom I can call 'Abba' (Daddy)!

 Looking again at that picture of a child in simple prayer, makes me wonder at how complicated my faith had gotten over the years (before the cancer diagnosis). I remember at our women's Bible study a few years ago we were trying to learn the "correct" way to pray...breaking down the scriptures regarding prayer, reading and re-reading The Lord's Prayer in an attempt to get it just right.
Some people might say that Ashley was only mimicking a prayer posture, but I think that sitting there quietly praying came naturally to her, and she got it right. She wasn't worried about the right words, or whether anyone was noticing her...She was told why we were in the chapel, and she did what her heart told her to do.
Perhaps we could learn a thing or two from that!

Today in Bible study we discussed how and when the word 'Abba' was used. It was  used three times in the new testament.


Abba [N] [B] [H] [S]
This Syriac or Chaldee word is found three times in the New Testament ( Mark 14:36 ; Romans 8:15 ; Galatians 4:6 ), and in each case is followed by its Greek equivalent, which is translated "father." It is a term expressing warm affection and filial confidence. It has no perfect equivalent in our language. It has passed into European languages as an ecclesiastical term, "abbot."

 "'Abba, Father,' he said, 'everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'" (Mark 14:36)
"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" (Romans 8:15)
"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'" (Galatians 4:6)


 Thanks for stopping by!

~Blessings & Love~
and remember, we are...
~Never Forsaken~


 

14 comments:

dreambear said...

What a blessed Word from our Father to you for our comfort and hope. Only you know my dear friend just where and how much this has blessed my heart. With Thanksgiving and Praise I Glorify our Father~ Heart~to~heart ~n~ Spirit~to~spirit ~ I so welcome you back to ~ The heart and home~ Love you my beloved friend!

Jane said...

Wonderful post! Although it is sometimes difficult to understand God's way, all we need to know is that it all works together for the greater good. Just as your story illustrated. Hope you have a lovely weekend, Lisa!

Hugs
Jane

Denise said...

thanks for touching my heart, love you

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you, my dearest friend...It's good to be back!
Love you too!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Jane, It's like that old saying goes: I don't know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend also!
((hugs))

Never Forsaken said...

You are so very welcome...I love you too, my friend!

Susie Swanson said...

Thanks for touching my heart also and that is the most precious picture of her praying and when she was a baby. Much Love and Blessings to you.

Never Forsaken said...

You are very welcome, dear lady!
Blessings and love to you also, my friend.

Reformed rebel said...

Lisa...so happy to see you writing again...you have been missed!! Love that story of your granddaughter. We can learn so much from the children. Oh to have a childlike faith in all things. I have often thought how I needed to learn how to pray better...say all the right words instead of tripping over my words. But I have learned that there aren't any right words...just words from my heart.
Blessings to you my friend. Love you,
Chelle

Sandi said...

Never Forsaken,

Thank you. This was good to read! Good also just to type your "name," Never Forsaken. :)

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Chelle, Yes, words from the heart are the only words that matter to God anyway. I have never been a very eloquent prayer, I am always so uncomfortable when asked to pray aloud...put on the spot like that...It's hard to really pray from the heart at a time like that. Sometimes (mostly) when I pray quietly by my self, I just tell God Thank you, and that I love him and I'm sorry for failing..then it's time to just listen for him to speak through his Word, or straight into my heart through the Holy Spirit.
I've missed writing, thanks for the warm welcome back, my friend!

Never Forsaken said...

You are welcome, Sandi!
I chose that name because it is a reminder to all of us, that God is always with us, we are never alone, and we never will be. It is such a comfort every time I think of that.

Brenda said...

Hi Lisa,
what a lovely granddaughter you have, and yes it is true that we should trust in the Lord with all our heart and not lean on our own understanding. That was one of the first scriptures that was highlighted to me. Becoming as a child simply means that we rely on our Father's protection and wisdom, and we have a Father who loves us and with Whom all things are possible that are not possible with man.
God bless you Lisa

Crown of Beauty said...

I love this story about Ashley and the circumstances of the pregnancy and birth. She is God sent to your family, that is clear to see. Perfect timing, a heavenly gift. And the photo of her in the chapel is just so touching. You may want to have that blown up and placed in your prayer room. Oh, I love to call our Father Abba... thank you for posting the Scriptures at the end. Have a wonderful fall season... it is my favorite season of all. Much love, Lidia

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUD!

HAPPY 8TH B-DAY, BUD! I think he's had too many birthday cookies already today!