My Cancer Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

Lessons about money

‎  
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.   1 Timothy6:10
 
It's been a long week.
  
It's been an interesting week.
  
I was able to witness many different things about people this week; specifically, in relationship to money.
  
There are those who work hard and have just enough, and when faced with the prospect of having more of the things that money can buy, are tempted, and may feel less content, at least for a time.

There are those who work even harder to have more, or because they have more obligations, more bills to pay, they may feel there will never be enough.
   
There are those, who may question God's Word when they read:  "My children will never beg bread"...when it appears that some Christians have had to do just that despite working very hard for their money.
...and when they finally get money that, as anyone would agree, they are entitled to have...they thank God for it, knowing that through perseverance their prayers were answered.

And there are those who are in such desperate need of money that they will lie and cheat in order to get it.
And, according to an older Christian gentleman, there are those who despite knowing the Lord, when they are successful at earning money, money takes the place of God in their life.
  
And then there are those, who when finding a small sum of money on the street, react in one of two ways... They search the container that holds the money for identification in order to return it, or they say:"Finders keepers!" and intend to keep it regardless of whether or not it may be the last few dollars belonging to another...Someone who worked hard for it.
 
Throughout the week I have learned a few things about people, and about myself especially...I learned that I am not immune to the effect that money can have on us...even though we are Christians.
As a couple, we do not have much money, though we have enough. I am content with what we have, and sometimes I even think  that we could live more comfortably with even less things....But, I think we were tested this week...Even though I personally passed some of the tests, I am not at peace with myself because I failed at others...God is not keeping score the same way we do! One win does not cancel out one loss....He expects us to always use the same standard set by Him according to His Holy Word in EVERYTHING we do, taking EVERY thought captive, and being ready ALWAYS to give an account as good stewards...Or as the bible says...walking as children of light...living according to the Spirit of God, and not according to the flesh.
So, although I do not love money, or the things that it can buy...I must say, I hate the way it makes some people behave sometimes...even good people, even Christian people...(Not all good people are Christians, and not all Christian people are always good either! Remember what Jesus taught us: There is none good...no, not one)!
...And I hate the way it [$] makes me feel sometimes too.
But...We are no longer slaves to our sinful nature. We no longer have to walk after the ways of the flesh...No, we are covered (cloaked) with Christ's righteousness...and we are indwelled with the Holy Spirit...So that we are never without an answer about what we ought to always do...Unless we ALLOW the flesh to take control. And making the excuse that ... "After all, I am just human." does not fly, my friend...not if you are a Christian...because, if you are a Christian...you are way more than "just human"!
Your sinful nature was washed clean...No, it was not removed...it is still there doing battle with the Holy spirit inside of you every single day...But, you are given the choice each and every day whether you will listen to, and follow after it...or if you will listen to and follow after the Holy Spirit of God, who will teach and guide you to act and react contrary to what the flesh wants you to do.
Why else do you think the Word of God teaches us to "Renew our minds daily"?

So, I am am really feeling content with all that the Lord has blessed us with, and after learning what I have about myself recently, I can sincerely pray:
...Remove from me vanity and lies; give me neither poverty nor riches; but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.
Psalm 30:8-9 And I might also add:
… Please help me Lord, to walk the walk, and not just talk the talk...Help me to become the kind of Christian that my blog friends think I am...or even better:...the kind of Christian that YOU want me to be! ~In Jesus, Amen~

We did have a nice time… Good family time spent with our daughter and her friends in Indiana, as well as some time with our youngest and her husband here at home yesterday.
All in all, it is good to be back home. I did have one pretty major panic attack though. It was in a bookstore…turned out, it was a pagan bookstore. It felt as though a wall came up around me preventing me from going further inside,  My husband asked me “Do you need to leave?”… to which I answered “we need to get the he_ _ out of here!” I grabbed our daughter and I nearly ran into a man in a wheelchair on the sidewalk outside of the store. I joked with him about nearly running him over…but I was in full panic mode by that time…sick out there on the busy city street of Lafayette.
That will teach me to wander blindly into an open doorway again; but I was awed by the power of God to build up a hedge of protection around us…Yes, that last sentence carries a lot of spiritual weight doesn’t it?
Many people may not know that I am a mild agoraphobic. You might say that I am a ‘functional’ agoraphobic who likes to hike in nature once in awhile, but for the most part, I am only comfortable enclosed within the walls of my home environment…I have always been this way…this is who I am, and I am OK with it, but not everyone may be comfortable with it, after all, it is kinda weird. But it is alright to be kinda weird, as long as you are doing whatever God is calling you to do, with whatever you have been given, wherever you may be… and you have peace in your heart.
So, when I returned home, I was exhausted and vowed that I would not leave my house for several days…except the next day we had to do the shopping and run an errand with our daughter and SIL…We even ended up at the mall… NOT my favorite place! Well, I got home and said out loud to the Lord: “Lord, I just don’t function very well out there in the world do I?!”
And, then I was reminded that I have a calling, a mission field, if you will…and my unique circumstances make it perfect for me to fulfill God’s call in my life…and when I need to get back out there in the big old world, God will equip me to do just that, wherever and whenever it may be…But for right now, today…I am happy, happy, happy to be writing at my little desk in my little bedroom…words that can travel across the continents of this big old world!

From my computer to yours, & from my heart’s home to yours:

~God bless you~

& remember, we are…

~NEVER FORSAKEN~

18 comments:

Vanilla Rose said...

Your sentiments regarding the issue of money are unfortunately, quite true.

I'm sorry to hear that you are agoraphobic. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sharon said...

Such good thoughts about money. Yes, I think money can be a potentially big pitfall - because I think money gives the illusion of control. If we don't have enough, we feel out of control (which implies that we think we SHOULD be in control). And if we have too much, then we feel like we ARE in control (a position that belongs to only God). May God give us the grace to be content with HIS daily bread, and the courage to live depending on Him alone.

I understand the agoraphobia. I have an anxiety disorder, and lately it's really been acting up. The other day I was in the market with my husband and it was all I could do not to run out of there screaming - I felt so overwhelmingly anxious all of a sudden.

But God works even in fear - when we turn to Him. (It just occurred to me - that's another area where I need to have peace about being *out of control*!!)

GOD BLESS!

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Vanilla Rose (lovin' the name!)

Because I spend so much time in my own little corner of the world, the few times I do venture out is always a day of class for me in terms of observing just how crazy and lost this old world is!..I live a very peaceful life of tranquility surrounded with much love of family, a wonderful husband, in the middle of some of God's best handiwork (nature). My husband and I are both extremely introverted, but we get along well with others whenever we find ourselves out amongst them, LOL!
Please do not feel sorry for me...I am humbled by your concern, and always welcome prayer...It is our way of loving on one another, carrying the burdens, and sharing in both the joys and pains in life, and for that I am grateful!
~God bless you~

Susie Swanson said...

I agree about the money and I think of you often and send up prayers. That's what we're all here for to pray for one another any time.. Lots of love my friend. xo

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Sharon,
I really appreciate your wisdom concerning money being an illusion of control...perfectly stated! Only God can handle the controls...I recently saw a bumper sticker that read...God is my pilot Not my co-pilot!
I have noticed a sort of trend amongst God's people...It seems as though we are becoming more and more sensitive to the adverse affects of the world around us.
I have always had a strong reaction (discernment) in particular places, or around particular people my whole life (in the 'my stories' page, the story of the tiny dancer is a true event...as is all of them).
I wonder if the increase in anxiety, is an indicator of just how widespread evil has become in the world? Perhaps instead of just one person with a demonic/evil spirit being in a certain place...there are always at least one or more among the many in every public place now? Our level of anxiety might just be our spiritual thermometer in any public or crowded place letting us know just what is out there.
Now is a good time to remember what the Lord says...Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world...I need to remember this as I venture out...More than ever we must trust the Lord and take authority over the evil one when we encounter him...hard to do when we are wanting to flee instead of engage in combat! ie:(fight or flight response)
yes, God works through our fear...He has not given us the spirit of fear either...another good reminder!
God bless you~

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Susie,

I so appreciate your thoughts and prayers, my friend!
You have my love and prayers as well, Dear lady.
~God bless you~

child of God said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm glad your time away went well and brought on a new appreciation of home! :)
Homecoming is always nice.

Sorry to hear you had such an attack in that bookstore, I bet the fresh air felt good. :)

Blessings Lisa, welcome back.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Sweetie,

Yes, it felt as though I had just ran through a dark thickness when I busted through that bookstore's doorway! That poor man in the wheelchair probably had a good laugh once he recovered from the shock. LOL!

It is always good to return home again...but always bittersweet as I do miss my daughter as soon as we get into the car to leave
:(
~God bless~

Een vrouw naar Gods hart said...

amen! nice picture too...God bless

Denise said...

How sad that many people live their whole lives focused on money; they serve it just as faithfully as other people serve an actual idol. In some cases, money has become their master, and they have become its servants! Whether they know it or not money has taken the place of God in their lives, and Jesus warned, "No one can serve two masters. ... You cannot serve both God and Money" (Matthew 6:24).

God has put you in a perfect, peaceful, and quiet place for a reason Lisa; to bless and encourage others which you do so well my friend! Even though you may be challenged outside of the home, you always deliver a message that speaks to all of us, and you are a survivor! :)

Hugs and bunches of love my sweet friend,
Denise

The Heart's Hunger said...

Good Morning Lisa :)
Lots of good stuff in your post. hmmm, walk the walk is different than 'talk the talk' ...just this morning before my husband was to leave for work he said AGAIN to me 'Let me take care of the money.'
I have GOT to NOT worry about our finances because really it is true that we are taken care of every single day:)

.... I would have and DO have panic attacks when I realize that I am in a very pagan place. I have got to get out 'now'
Though the panic is never fun I am glad the Lord will use it like this in times when I am some place I should not be

Hey! I like that term -funtional agoraphobic, that's me too.

OH MY... great job doing the mall!!!!

God Bless you, and good to 'chat' with ya this morning, Deanna

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you Soraya...good to 'see' you!
~God bless~

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Denise,

That is a good scripture...I catch myself sometimes placing ,not just money, but other things also in the place where only Jesus belongs in my heart...Thankfully the Holy spirit gives me a check in my spirit (or kick in the pants)...To set me straight again!

You are such a sweet friend to say such a thing...I am glad I can encourage other people...Not sure if that would be true if I was always right in the middle of it all though.
Thank you for your love and hugs...you have mine as well, my friend!
~God bless~

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Deanna,

I'm not sure if I coined the phrase 'functional agoraphobic' or not...I do not recall ever reading it anywhere...so maybe :)

Panic is never fun for sure...but when it is serving a purpose it is not as scary as those times when it does not make sense to go into panic mode...I've been getting so much better with those kind in the last year_Thank the Lord~ It is totally Him.

Same goes with the depression...though it is still a battle, the Lord has given me a battle strategy to use that works...Funny, He does not take me out of that tunnel...just walks me through it.

~God bless you too, my friend~ Love our 'Chats'! ~ Lisa

Denise said...

In much agreement with you about money dear friend. Sending you love, hugs, and prayers.

Never Forsaken said...

Thank you,Denise.
Sending you love hugs and prayers also, my dear friend
~God bless~

Dee said...

I had a similar experience in one of those stores...the Lord was telling me to get out as soon as possible.With money we think we are secure...but there is no security except through Christ. I like the country roads and small groups. But very uncomfortable being in a crowd. Your post was a reminder how important it is to stay close to the Lord at all times and be content with how he made us as an individual.

Never Forsaken said...

Hi Dee,

I know it is pretty awesome how God puts that urgency within us to remove ourselves from a place that we are not supposed to be.

I can't imagine what might have happened had I ignored it...but then, there simply was no ignoring it!

I think people are so interesting...God is so creative isn't he?

I love to travel the country roads too, but my husband almost never wants to pull over so I can take pictures...So glad I can see yours...you have quite an eye ;)

~God bless~ Lisa

So do not fear,  for I am with you;      do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen  you and help  you;      I will uphold ...